Why is MakeUseOf blocked in Norton?

Rob Hindle September 18, 2012

Norton just blocked access to MakeUseOf with the message “Suspicious Web Page Blocked” in MSIE 9 then MSIE hung. I had to use Task Manager to kill it.

Anyone else seeing this? Has MakeUseOf been compromised?

1. GrrGrrr

Remove Norton, and stop using IE.

Problem Solved!!

• Rob Hindle

I used to share your opinion of Norton (The remedy was worse than the disease) but they got their act together a couple of years ago. Since then it no longer conflicts with other software, doesn't slow performance excessively and if you try to remove it the removal process appears to work properly - that's my experience and the trade press reviews appear to agree (and it does its security job at least as effectively as the other top security suites).

And I share your opinion of MSIE, mostly use Firefox because of the extensions, even MSIE9 hasn't redeemed the unfortunate history of MSIE but I sometimes need to check compatibility.

I've only seen this particular warning from Norton a couple of times but previously it was from dodgy sites like link farms that sometime still turn up in Google results and therefore it had earned my trust.

Anyway I've done a full virus scan. In other respects the PC is behaving as normal. MUO was fine in other browsers at the time and is OK in MSIE now. I guess Bruce's suggestion of a one-off problem with the content of an advert may be the culprit.

Rob,

Could it be that you are infected yourself?

Norton hasn't rated us unsafe:
    http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=makeuseof.com

That one sometimes happens with perfectly legitimate sites that have not been compromised due to the content of the site when it was scanned or if it detects something on the line (well, actually in the stack) prior to being displayed (Java downloader embedded in an advert, etc). In your case, I would assume it is the second condition that triggered it since I have not been blocked here in weeks, but I have recently seen the same type of blocking of other sites.As far as IE hanging, it could be an issue with a toolbar or extension installed in the browser, but IE tends to crash even without any add-ons installed much less enabled.

4. Ewan Millar

This is know as a false positive. Which means it has been flagged as Suspicious Web Page by mistake. When anti virus software finds a virus or blocks a web page. It is a good idea to find out what you delete or block by google the name of the file to find information.