Why do MakeUseOf articles sometimes redirect when I access them through Google Reader?

Christian West January 19, 2012

About half the time when I access MakeUseOf from the RSS feed through Google Reader, the article redirects to newlook.com. I’ve run a virus check and tried a Google search to no avail. Any ideas? I just press back in the browser and all is fine.

No other RSS feeds do this, and I haven’t yet tested in other browsers.

1. Christian West

Thanks all for your comments. I initially checked for malware and couldn't find any. The proxy is set to the proper corporate proxy, and nothing else is affected (including other rss feeds accessed through Google Reader).
    It doesn't seem to be doing it anymore though so all fixed! (I hope)

Hello, Have you checked if there is any extensions that you did not installed?  Specifically look for an extension with the name:  Firefox Security 2.0  or something similar.  If you have it installed, make sure to get rid of them.  To uninstall extensions, try the following:

-- click on tools
    -- click on Add-ons
    -- click on extensions
    -- highlight extension, click on disable and then remove
    -- restart your browser
    -- check to see if same thing happens

You could also try Downloading  and installing hitman pro:
    http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

3. Jay.0

I also tried, there was no redirection.
    Clear cookies etc, restart browser or pc and try again.

Also try on other chrome.

Hello, what browser are you using?  Sometimes when there is an infection or you are getting redirected, you could try checking if there is a proxie set in your browser.  For example, if you are using IE9, try checking the following:

-- open IE9
    -- click on tools
    -- internet options
    -- click on connections tab
    -- click on LAN settings
    -- Under Proxy server, is the use a proxy server for your LAN checkmarked?  If it is, make sure to unchecked and then click on ok
    --  apply and ok

Chrome and IE share the same settings.

For Firefox, try the following:

-- click on tools
    -- options
    -- advanced
    -- click on network tab
    -- under connection, click on settings
    -- make sure no proxie is set

Just to make sure, download superantispyware portable and malwarebytes.  Given your computer full scans with both and if you find any suspicious entries, make sure to delete them.  Once both tools report your system clean, run a full scan with your antivirus.

• Jay.0

Firefox 9.

5. Mark O'Neill

I have just tested it myself in Google Reader and it works fine. So I would guess that you have some kind of malware on your system that hijacks the browser and takes you to another site. 

Try scanning for malware. MalwareBytes is a good program to use - I use it all the time. We previously reviewed it here - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-and-delete-spyware-with-malwarebytes-windows-only/

• Andru Simonds

Yes, it is right.