How can I use MakeUseOf Answers without showing my full name while being logged in with Facebook or Google?

Tilman Bauer February 26, 2012

Is there a way to choose a nickname or to hide the last name from this website while being logged in with Facebook or Google? There should be a way, but I can’t find anything in the settings… Can somebody help me please?

Cheers,

Tilman

1. Puzzl Edd

I got sick of my full name appearing when I use Facebook so I set up a new Facebook account with a different name and will now use that to log in to other sites. It also has the virtue of not opening my contacts etc. to access from other sites, apps etc.

2. someone who cares

first of all there were other options in the beginning for now log out then make a new account

• Rob Hindle

I hit the same problem, there was something I wanted to respond to without being so readily indentifiable so I set up a separate persona. I hope MUO can come up with a better alternative sometime (then I'd have more points and maybe get a badge upgrade sooner!)

3. Karkala Nayak

Tilman, If you really want to hide your name and only use a nickname with Facebook and google then Why don't you do this.
    Try changing your Name in Facebook to a nickname and also change your name in Google+ profile page to a nick name.
    Then after all that changing name session. log into makuseof.com with your Facebook or Google ID while asking a question..

I hope it helped
    :)

• Tilman

Nayak, thanks but I do want to have my full name appear in Google and Facebook. Just here on MUO I would prefer to have just my first name appear...

• Tilman

Wow... hmmm.... why is in my comment here indeed just my first name appearing?? :O But in the question on the top it shows also my full name! Why is that? I am confused now...

• Karkala Nayak

Your first name is only appearing "Tilman"

• Tilman

Yeah, that's why I was so confused! In the question on top, my full name appears. But in the comments here only my first name appears. Why is that so?

• Karkala Nayak

James The Developer in MUO will be able to answer that question. Me am just a normal User of MUO and I Don't really have much knowledge on how the comments,Questions and answers system work on MUO. So James will be able to answer that question.
          :)

• Tilman

@muo_jamesbruce:disqus  – hoping to get an answer from you :) So the question is, why does my last name NOT appear here when I write this comment while it does appear when I asked the question on top of this page? Obviously I would like to remove my last name from the question, as well. Is there a way to ask a question on MUO without displaying the full name?

Tilman,

you can have just your first name shown when you log in as a guest using Disqus. It's a different login system than the one we use for asking a question.

There is no way for us to change your name. However, you can change it with the account you are using to log in for asking the question.

• Tilman

Ciao Tina! Did I understand correctly that I can use Disqus ONLY for writing comments, but even that possibility will vanish as MUO will remove Disqus from the site?

If Disqus is anyway dying from the MUO website, I guess I should move over to the new login system as early as possible – and pressure you guys to change the system so that the login doesn't pull the whole name from Facebook! ;)

Tilman,

Disqus is a comment engine and nothing else. It never supported more than comments.

You have already moved to the new login system when you posted your question.

I don't think we can change what the login system pulls. However, you can change what it can pull. Simply change your Facebook name or use an alternative account to log in. You can also use OpenID.

• Howbler.com

That's correct!!!

Sorry, no. We have disabled anonymous question posting. Your full name is pulled from Facebook or social acocunt where available. This was a difficult decision to make, but it removes a large proportion of the spam / illegal content / nonsense questions that get posted. 

5. Jay.0

If you are looking for sharing articles etc... I think you do not have this option.
    If you want to answer questions, you can use disqus, anonymously or with a disqus account, both the option will display the name you want to be displayed.