What makes ‘Chrome for Windows’ a lightweight browser?

Dr.sunil V February 23, 2014

One notices that Chrome launches smoothly and quickly, runs webpages without clutter or time lag and switches tabs seamlessly. It has been noticed that if tabs are switched in some browsers and in Chrome the difference is roughly analogous to holding pebble-stone and cardboard respectively.

Is the coding which makes Chrome lightweight? The term ‘lightweight’ does not imply only megabytes of a file size but rather the browser’s smooth functioning.

Smooth performance of software does not always imply that the software is lightweight; Google Chrome is, in fact, contrary to that. Chrome uses a great deal of processing power and memory in order to provide the "smooth" and "fast" performance. On my lower end netbook, even with 8GB memory installed, Chrome lags and stutters quite a bit. I found that Opera browser, even though it uses a similar rendering engine as Chrome, works much better on my netbook.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I agree "lightweight" does not imply MBs. Pl view q description