How do I make YouTube Jukebox play all videos in automatic HD?

Alex June 20, 2014

When I’m watching a video, and I navigate away from it so the video plays in the background, even if that video is set to HD. When the next video begins to play, it won’t play in HD unless you tell it to by changing the playback quality which, if you want to have every video play in HD, you have to do after every single video.

The only way to avoid this problem I know of is to play the video in fullscreen, but it has to be 100% of the time the video is playing, which is really inefficient for me, considering that I don’t glue my eyes to the video 100% of the time; sometimes I navigate away from it and let videos play in the background maybe for a couple seconds to minutes.

That’s just how I watch videos, and apparently that style of watching videos is not compatible with YouTube Jukebox. So, just to recap, I want all videos to play in HD automatically 100% of the time without having to set it to HD every time a new video plays. Thanks.

1. Ben S

Ah, I understand the issue.

It's kind of an extensive fix, but here's what I'd try. There's a <a href="https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/49366"script for Greasemonkey that I used to use in Firefox. It's very simple; all it does is put all YouTube videos (even embedded ones IIRC) in HD and buffers them fully, disabling DASH playback. You'll have to install Firefox and Greasemonkey, but you could use Firefox as your dedicated music browser?

I know it's irritating, but YouTube Options, the old Chrome extension that was great for this, is now a paid app.

• Ben S

Gah, link screwup. It's at

https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/49366

• Alex

I installed Firefox and Greasemonkey, but I don't understand how to apply that thing you were talking about, the thing that you were saying put all YouTube videos and HD, and buffer them fully, disabling DASH. I have also looked into it, but it doesn't quite seem like what I'm looking for. I'm trying to make YouTube Jukebox work properly, and not use any other 3rd-party software to be able to do what I'm trying to do.

• Alex

No answer? I see how it is.

• Ben S

I'm sorry, Alex. The alert emails I get from question responses sometimes get buried and I forget about them.

I'm honestly not sure what else to try, and I saw your new question. Do you have "always select the best quality" enabled in your YouTube settings? Without a third-party app, I'm not sure if this will work. It's annoying, but it's just how YouTube is.

• Alex

That's quite alright.

And I guess if there's no way to guarantee full quality, then I guess that's fine. Thank you for helping anyways.

2. Ben S

I don't use YouTube Jukebox, but I do like all of my videos to be in HD automatically. There was an old extension I used to use for this before I switched to Firefox, but now that I'm back to Chrome I find that the extension is gone.

I'm using Magic Actions For YouTube to do this. It has other nice features, like disabling annotations and disabling DASH playback. But the auto HD has always worked fine for me. Try it; it should fit your needs well.

• Alex

Magic Actions for YouTube only works for videos that are played on YouTube. Even though YouTube Jukebox technically takes videos from YouTube and embeds them on their website for users to watch, Magic Actions still doesn't take any effects on any videos played from YouTube Jukebox since it's not played directly from YouTube.