How do I make my new USB 3.0 external HDD work with my TV and Blu-ray?

August 15, 2014

I have just purchased a 3 TB external hard drive with USB 3.0 which works fine with my laptop but when I connect it to my TV & Blu-ray player neither device can detect my hard drive. Obviously the TV & BR player must only have standard 2.0 ports so I need to know if there is a way around this to make the hard drive compatible with my TV/BR?  Some sort of adapter perhaps?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks!

1. Jim S

Ok thanks for the info guys. DESSY I have checked the TV firmware & it is up to date. Do u think I'll need to try & partition the hard drive then?

• dessy

my first question is does any other 3 terabyte hard drive work with the tv other usb hdd if they do my option would be to partition into 2 times 1.5 terabyte partitions and see what happens . it could just be the firmare is not capable of seeing 3 terabyte. hope this is of help

2. dessy

just found this on Samsung site in the manual for your tv
    I

Before using media contents functions...
    NN It might not work properly with unlicenced multimedia files.
    NNNeed-to-Know List before using media contents
    ?? MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is not supported.
    ?? The file system supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.
    ?? Certain types of USB Digital camera and audio devices may not be compatible
    with this TV.
    ?? Media contents only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices.
    MSC is a Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport device. Examples of MSC
    are Thumb drives, Flash Card Readers and USB HDD (USB HUB are not
    supported). Devices should be connected directly to the TV’s USB port.
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40D6100SKXXU
    have you updated the firmware.thi link above maybe be of some help if its the same model as yours ,be sure to check ok

3. dessy

ok sorry I was no help at this time .windows 7 8 8.1 automatically download any new driver required so your pc probably did this for you in the back ground ,but I am delighted to know that Linux cans see your 3 terabyte drives as I am going to install Linux an a spare hdd. if I come with any answers I will post ok

4. dessy

its the 3 terabyte that's the problem. even windows 7/8/8.1 need its own driver to be able to use hard drives over 2.2 terabyte you might try to partition your drive into several smaller partitions ok

• Bruce E

My Win7 installation can access all of the 3 TB internal drives and all three of my 3 TB external drives without doing anything special. Booting into any of my installed Linux partitions allow the same access to all of these drives as well.

The documentation for the TV does not indicate any size limitations of external drives attached via its USB port(s) which certainly does not mean that they simply have not noted it for consumers.

Okay, the TV supports FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS formatted USB mass storage devices, so that should not be a problem. I was unable to find a limit to the size of the device that can be recognized.

Based on the documentation I found, it sounds like there are multiple USB ports on the TV. Make sure you are connecting to USB 1 as any others may not work with USB hard drives. When you plug the drive into the TV, do you get a popup where you can select 'New device connected'?

• Jim S

Ok thanks Bruce. I've tried it in usb port 1 again & I don't get any pop up unfortunately. (but I do when I connect my other smaller hard drives)

• Bruce E

In that case, you will need to shrink the size of the existing partition on the drive to around 2 TB and create a new partition with the remaining space. It is possible that your TV won't see the second partition, but your computer can still utilize the space. These operations can be done with the Disk Management tool.

Ah right I see, very naive of me there! Well the the TV is Samsung UE40D6100SKXXU & Blu ray is BD F5100.

How easy it is to reformat the hard drive usually?

USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports. It will work, but at the slower 2.0 speeds.

The issue you are having here has to do with the formatting of the drive. Most come formatted with NTFS for Windows systems although you can also find some preformatted for Macs. Most TVs and other A/V devices don't understand the NTFS or Mac formats and can't read the drive. Without make/model of the TV and BR we cannot check the specifics for your devices. You likely will need to reformat the drive to have multiple FAT32 partitions or exFAT instead as these are normally supported by these other devices. You will also need to look at the largest volume size they can access.