Do mainframe computers still exist?

Mango the Fruitarian September 2, 2010

I’m getting a little nostalgic here, as I used to work on large IBM mainframes. 370/115 being the first back in the mid 70s, then 4341s, 4381, and a 3090 or 2 toward the end of the 1980s. They ran DOS/VS(E) and VM/CMS & MVS.

Toward the end of my career, we had IBM PC/RTs using the latest RISC technology, and I envisioned mainframes one day being a thing of the past. I also worked on Digital Vax machines, Primes and several other brands.

My question is, does anything like this still exist? Nowadays, my laptop is 10,000 times faster & smaller than the top of the range back in those days, and likely 10000 times more capacity, too.

If they still exist, how have they evolved, and are they still so much more incredibly fast than PCs? Or commercially, what advantages do they have over networks of modern laptops or PCs?