Why can’t my Mac’s webcam be detected?

Tina Grant July 30, 2012

I have a built-in webcam on my Mac laptop (running OS X version 10.6.8). Today Skype would not detect my camera and YouTube won’t either. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never had this problem before with Skype, it seems the camera is disabled.

1. Glenna Swanson Hart

can you help with the above please thank you Glenna .

2. Glenna Swanson Hart

I have an mac -0510 ..have no camera on skype..I have built in..so went into preferences when it happened before and clicked camera on...but it does not work now...just able to click on built in speakers but no camera..can you help thank you..glennad@sasktel.net

3. Adam Campbell

Sounds like a loose wire, go to ifixit for user manuals on your specific model of laptop.

4. Siddhant Chaurasia

Check your system preferences

5. Theo Reisinger

If no app is finding your camera, worst case might be that a wire is loose in the laptop. You might have to take it apart and reconnect the wire

6. Louwra Preyser

When this happens to me the only thing that tends to fix it is to restart my computer.

7. Beth Evans

I've had this happen a few times. I don't shut my machine down very often. And it doesn't like that. It sounds like such a PC answer, but try to restart!

Have you tried opening Photo Booth if installed to see if an Apple application detects the webcam?

Check if your laptop detects iSight by going to Applications in Utilities folder.Also,resetting SMC can be helpful -

Select your video device in Skype and make sure it is functioning by clicking on the "Test Webcam" button

How can I check that my webcam is working correctly in Skype for Mac OS X?

Why can't I sign in to Skype for Mac?

go to system preferences then Flash Player Click on Camera And Mic then Click on Camera And Microphone Settings By Site, choose Youtube and if it is not there then click on the plus button then add http://www.youtube.com and from the drop down menu choose Allow, then clse all windows and refresh desktop, see if it works.

check that your firewall has not blocked it.

– open youtube and pick a file to play
    – right click on video background and click on global settings
    – on menu, click on camera and mic
    – make sure that the option ask me when a site wants to use the camera and mic
    – click on camera and microphone settings by site
    – Make sure that sites where you want to allow camera are not blocked