What macro recording software allows configurable input values?

Giuseppe C August 11, 2014

I’m looking for a way (application or else) to create macros, similar to macro recorder in Excel 2010? I’m looking for a macro that will ask for some input values to run its result.

Thank you.

1. Jeff F

If I understand your question correctly, you want software which will record macros and allow for manual value configuration. If this is correct, AutoHotKey is exactly what you're looking for. As Oron has mentioned already though, there are plenty more to chose from.

• Giuseppe C

Thank you for y our reply; I don't know if you already know the macro recorder of excel 2010; I'm looking a way like that with the possibility to read (input) some data useful for the macro processing; like in an application that ask its user to input data for next processing it.
      Regards,

Giuseppe

• Oron J

Macro *recording* only works for those things that are done the same way each time. A request for input is therefore not recordable as such and you'll need to learn the scripting language for the particular macro language. Excel has very sophisticated programming capabilities (a whole programming language really, rather than just Macros), so it's a matter of learning the syntax of the dialogue boxes (there's more than one choice), and you can do this either from Excel's own help, or by searching for it online.
      AutoHotKey is also capable of displaying dialogue boxes, including input boxes, but if you only need to work within a spreadsheet, you're better off using Excel's facilities.

There are so many... If you want one that works across Windows, AutoHotKey is probably a good way to go as it is very popular and has a vibrant community.