Why won’t two machines on my network wake on LAN?

Larry Willey August 16, 2012

I have 4 machines with the same network interface controller (Trendnet GB). Linux Mint 11 and one Windows XP wake on LAN from both hibernate and normal power off. One XP machine and the Windows 7 machine wake only from hibernate, not from a normal power off.

All 4 cards are configured the same and I’ve checked BIOS settings till I’m blue in the face. I always thought power status-wise, hibernate and normal power off were basically the same. Am I missing something?

1. leonstafford

As venkatp16 mentioned, they need to be in hibernate mode, not power turned off.

2. venkatp16

wakeonlan works only for standby,hibernate systems not from a complete power off state.

• leonstafford

Great advice.

perhaps to update BIOS to be sure the problem is not BIOS

4. Oron

Power-up capabilities are determined by hardware and BIOS settings (in other words, NOT by OS). If the BIOS is set to allow the machine to power up on a network signal, and it's not doing that, I can only think that there's a hardware problem.

Since you checked the BIOS I'm not sure where the problem could be.

Are the NIC's powered on when you shutdown the computer e.g. orange/green LED or so?

See if WOL is enabled on Windows level (should be the same steps for XP/7)
    http://www.cnetsys.com/how-to-enable-wake-on-lan-wol-windows-7

The only thing that comes to mind right now is the BIOS on a newer machine that has TWO settings for WOL. One is a generic setting to enable WOL while the other is specifically for WOL when the system is off (or hibernating) rather than sleeping.