Why is my MacBook’s battery life so short?

April Eum August 26, 2012

For some reason my MacBook Pro’s battery is only lasting an hour or two. It was much better when I first bought it. This started happening before I upgraded to Mountain Lion. What’s the best way to cycle the battery and regain life?

1. steven ...

Reducing the number of running programs will also help

2. Louwra Preyser

It might be worth checking to see whether there is anything obvious wrong. If you open the system profiler and look at statistics in the power section it will give you details about the battery. It will give you the cycle count as well as the charge capacity and it wil also tell you what condition the battery is in. If all those stats are fine then you know it's probably an application that is causing the short battery life.

3. VictorGeis

Perhaps there is an app running in the background using up the battery. Charging your battery all the way then letting it drain to 20% once a month is generally accepted to help your battery health. Also keeping your system up to date will generally help your battery's health.