Why is my MacBook Pro stuck at the localhost/:root?

Tim August 20, 2011

I put a new hard drive in my MacBook Pro and used my original Tiger reinstall disks. It was working fine. I then put in my Leopard disk to upgrade it and it did not work.

Now I have a black screen saying localhost/:root#CSRHID transition Driver:: stop IOBluetoothHCI controller::start Idle Timer stopped

This is all I get, even trying to start in the safe mode. HELP!

1) Reboot your mac2) Immediately after the startup chime press and hold
    command-s (single user mode)3) Your mac will boot into a UNIX text-based
    environment. It tells you what to do on screen:> /sbin/fsck -fy
    (something like that)> mount /4) After you've done those
    two, give it a:> reboot

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsckhttp://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

• Tstn

Ha14 
      did not work,  I got into a screen that is not what you are talking about.   The mac does not have a command labled button.  what are you reffering too.   i used the apple button and it got me in and the commands you gave me did not do it.  I need some real help here.  Anyone have it!  

Well possible there is a driver problem or hardware incompatibility, can you try this method target disk mode
        http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

There is a similar issues here
        http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-312884.html
        http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/index.php/t-65435.html

Pacifist 2.6.4
        http://charlessoft.com/
        Pacifist is also able to verify existing installations and find missing or altered files*, and Pacifist can also examine the kernel extensions installed in your system to let you see what installer installed them, and whether the installer was made by Apple or a third-party.

• Mulder

The "Apple" button on a Mac keyboard is the Command button, and it always has been. It also has what looks like a cloverleaf highway interchange on it.

In any case, the symptoms you describe could be caused by several different factors, including a hard drive that's too full, as well as a failing hard drive, or a motherboard problem. The latter is more likely if you upgraded your hard drive to a larger one. What size is your hard drive now, and what specific model is your MacBook Pro (when was your revision released)?

If I were you, I'd startup in Target Disk Mode while connected to another Mac that's booted normally. Then launch Disk Utility and choose the manufacturer's line for the hard drive in your MacBook Pro. Click the Erase tab, then click Security Options, and choose Single Pass; then click OK. Make sure the format is Mac OS Extended (journaled), and name your partition if you choose. Then click Erase. This may take quite a long time, an hour or more - but will either fail because your hard drive is close to failing and needs to be replaced, or the Single Pass will help your hard drive behave better by taking out possible bad blocks on the hard drive.

If that works, see if you can install Tiger and if so, upgrade it all the way to 10.4.11 using Software Update. If so, great. Next step.

If your Leopard DVD is a retail installer (not one that may have come with your Mac, or that you downloaded illegally), insert that DVD in the other Mac (still connected via Target Disk Mode to your MacBook Pro).

Restart that other Mac while holding the 'C' key to boot to that installer DVD. Click through the first few screens, and make sure that you choose the hard drive in your MacBook Pro for the install destination, otherwise, the Leopard install will default to the Mac hard drive, which is not what you want. Continue with the Leopard install. With any luck, that should work for you.

If not, then I'd take it to an Apple Store if there's one near you, since it's probably a hardware issue.

Did you update your Mac OS X Tiger installation? 
    From what I remember 10.5 requires at least 10.4.8 installed for an successful upgrade. If that wasn't the case it would explain your system not booting up anymore.Other possible options are permission issues, read issues (from the Upgrade DVD) or simply a failed upgrade.Since you are going for a "clean" installation why don't you skip Mac OS X 10.4 in first place? I don't know the original source therefor I will just paste the steps in here:

1. Boot from the Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade DVD2. The check for a previous installation will fail (and "Continue" button is grayed out)3. Click on “Utilities” then on “Restore Time Machine Backups”. Click “Next” and the installer will start searching for Time Machine backups4. Wait for about 5 Seconds then go all the way back to the Mac OS X Installer5. Now the continue button should be clickable and you can proceed to do a clean install of Leopard

3. Mulder

Are you saying that Leopard did not install, or that it did install and now it won't startup?

If Tiger installed correctly, then you should try starting up your MacBook Pro from the Leopard install disc, and reinstall Leopard from scratch. If it says Leopard is already on the machine, then try doing an Archive and Install.

• Tim

Mulder,  tried all that,  it is stuck in the root mood and will not recognize the disks.  If is was that simple,  It would have been done already.  Parden, I been up for two days trying to get the units going.  Thanks for the information and God Bless!  Tim