Why does my Macbook Pro say ‘no Airport card installed’?

Joe July 8, 2011

Two days back, when I tried to connect to internet, my Mac said “no Airport card installed”. I tried many things, like resetting SMC, resetting PRAM etc., but I can’t find a solution. Although my system profiler shows the Airport.

1. Ejilla

Thanks! 10 second thing works!! I bought mine in June 2011 as well. Hmmmm.

2. Elizah

i have the same problems no airport Card installed on my macbook pro
    i tried to open Airport in the systems preference and didn't match
    how can i solved the problems is in the software or in the hardware ?
    then to update the software
    thanks for your support

3. Joritamas

Hi, I have the same problem now on my Mac Book Pro. I bought the laptop June 2011 with OS X version 10.6.8. It's annoying because I can't even update any software.

4. Clautalamantes

HELP!!! i dont know what to do :-( my mac says no AIRPOR CARD INSTALLED i already took it to the IT deparment at my work and they said is a lost case...that even if i take it to a Apple store they wont be able to help cause its an old model OS X 10.4....please help i tried rebooting it and nothing

5. TUBROW

FIXED IT THE STONE AGE WAY :D

It happened to me today, it was fine last night and then this morning it says "No airport card installed". But luckily I've fixed it, I turned my mac book pro off, give it a rest for 2 - 5 minutes, I gave it smooth bumps on my bed, shake it couple of times...I turned my mac book pro back, and the airport is WORKING ! 

6. DJGRIZ

Not sure if this is a permanent fix, but it has at least worked for me. I had the no airport card problem. I held down the on/off button for 10 seconds to reboot the machine and airport has reappeared working fine. It must reassess it's wifi hardware/sofware when you do this.

• Pammie_watt

This worked for me, thanks!

• em

This worked for me too! Thank you.

• min

great! easy way to fix it. thanks ;)

• Raph

YOU MADE MY DAY!

7. Rsdpdrr

many macariums  are going  through the same issues,i have a mac book pro13'' everything were going  perfect until one day  " no airport card installed" no matter what you do it will not work. All you need to do is " buy a new airport card '' and have it installed. apple knows about this problem and have not don anything yet.

There are basically three options:
    - you deleted the AirPort connection by accident
    - your system lost track of it for whatever reason
    - your AirPort card is damaged

First I would try to open up System Preferences, go to Network and at the top create a new Location.

If this doesn't help force a redetection of the hardware via Terminal.app and the command /usr/sbin/networksetup -detectnewhardware

Your last option is to delete the file containing network hardware informations.
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
    delete this property list and then restart your system.

If neither helps it is most likely and issue with the card itself.

• Infant Joe Charles

/usr/sbin/networksetup -detectnewhardware
      What happens if I type the above command in Terminal?