Why can my MacBook Pro no longer read my external hard drive?

Trixi Vengai August 20, 2012

I have a USB 3.0 hard drive multi-port (toaster) with two hard drives in it, which read as 3 a one is partitioned, all formatted to exFat.

My new MacBook Pro could read the hard drives, but when I bumped the machine at all they would disconnect. After this the MacBook wouldn’t read the hard drives. A Pram reset worked, but then it happened again.

Installed a new USB 3.0 driver which Apple said should keep the hard drive from disconnecting so easily, but now the Mac Book is not reading the hard drives at all. Not in Disk Utility either. PC laptop can see them without issue. Pram reset doesn’t work. I’ve googled the hell out of this and am at a loss.

1. Sashritha Peiris

try it on a windows. It might be a exFat error

2. Alex Perkins

Have you tried the other ports on it, that one could be faulty.

3. Kavita

i think your hard drive is tempered...or still apple has not fixed the problem with usb3.0

4. Eduardo Ceballos

I have the exact same problem, and It's doing it to my USB 3.0 Portable Hardrive no matter what kind of format I use (exFAT, FAT32, etc). It works at the beginning and then when I bump my computer or the hard drive even slighty it says it disconnected and then it wont show up when I plug it in again and again. I have to reformat it on a different computer for it to work again. I just opened my new macbook pro retina and its only doing this to my USB 3.0 HDD, I also have a USB 2.0 HDD that works just fine and this doesnt happen while using it.

5. Christopher Webb-Orenstein

Hi there,
    A few options I would suggest to troubleshoot this are:
    1. Check to make sure your USB ports are not damaged in anyway.
    2. Try using a different USB 3.0 chord
    3. Try attaching a different hard-drive with your USB 3.0 chord
    4. Try attaching a different hard-drive with a different USB 3.0 chord

Hopefully one of these options will give you a better idea what the problem is.

6. VictorGeis

I'm on the side of Fredrick, it sounds like it could be the port. Try and see if any other drives do something similar when plugged into the port. Maybe its the cord itself too; try using a USB extension cord and see if you get any different results.

7. Frederick Doe

Does the USB port see anything else? It's possible that the port itself is physically damaged.

perform the pre SMC reset steps described by apple
    Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US