Can I use a MacBook to find my iPhone and vice-versa?

Qelisani Nkomo September 8, 2012

I lost my iPhone and have now replaced it. I want to pair my new iPhone with my MacBook so I can use one to locate the other. Is there a network feature that can does this?

1. Sashritha Peiris

First install the App Find My IPhone off the app store, it is an apple app. Then open the app and sign in with your apple id. From here you can see the location of your mac. Then go to http://www.icloud.com and sign in with your apple id again. Then click on find my iphone. From here you can locate your iphone. Of course for this to work your iPhone needs a 3G connection.

2. Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

Find my iphone works

3. Siddhant Chaurasia

go to icloud.com

and sign in and click on the find my iphone

4. Dawud Mehmood

use find my mac and find my iphone

5. Andy Wells

Yes. The iPhone App shows my Macbook in the Find My iPhone app

6. Katie Conway

iCloud.com. it's built into the operating system of the phone

7. sonalkhodiyar

There is no network feature which can help you find your lost iPhone. There are a couple of good apps, like Apple's Find-my-iPhone, Prey Projects Prey which you can use to track your phone( current phone) or your old phone if it had any of those apps installed. The Problem with Prey is, it cannot delete data from you iPhone once it is lost.

And One more thing which you can do from security point of view is, set your iPhone settings to wipe the data once 10 wrong attempts have been made to access your locked phone.

8. Kavita

activate find my mac...and find my iphone on icloud....

9. Emily Louis

The best preventable measure is to use Find My iPhone app from Apple.

10. vivek yadav

enable findmydevice on icloud and you are ready to go...

11. bonioloff

1. FIND IPHONE VIA MAC
    Just use ICloud to tracking your device position, but you need to install FIND MY PHONE app first on the iphone, and make sure you always enable the location service in the iphone.
    This way actually can be done in every computer that can access ICLOUD website.(Not only MAC).

2. FIND MAC VIA IPHONE
    I have no mac computer, so i cannot answer for this :D

• April Eum

except this is true, just log onto icloud.com linked to iphone icloud and use find my iphone :P

12. Alexis Akridge

Install "Find my Phone" app from the apple store.

13. Christopher Webb-Orenstein

You can use your standard iCloud account to activate the Find My iPhone feature. Visit: https://www.icloud.com
    If your iPhone is already missing please content the police and your cellphone service provider. Your provider or police may be able to track down your phones location by using the GPS tracking device embedded within it. You should enquire further with your provider/law enforcement.

14. Gian Singh

Of course, theres an app for that it called find my iPhone!

15. Abby Rakshit

Yes, there are many apps like find my iphone etc. make sure you install it first,before you lose it. LOL

16. Saurav Azad

first of all set up icloud account on both of your device with same icloud id .
    login in to your icloud account and enable find my iphone / mac its mentioned on the apple's manual for icloud and enable the features by setting up icloud on your iphone or mac or win pc and logininto ur icloud account and select the option find my iphone or mac it would provide u multiple option and show the physical location of your device on the map. you can send message and lock the device remotely !!

17. David Yaroshevsky

You can use Apple's Find My iPhone app, which also works in the other direction if you have iCloud on your Macbook.

If you run a recent OS X version (10.7, 10.8) and iOS version you can setup iCloud and use the Find my Phone/Mac feature.

However, keep in mind that any software tracking only works if the device has some sort of internet connection and was not reset, restored or reinstalled.

19. rimaz nazeer

This one is really good : http://preyproject.com/

Tried it once and it worked really well

• Evan Fenner

Prey is great! I've never had to use it, but it's there if I need it.

20. Harshit Jain

Use find my iphone app. It is great.

21. Felix_Tiosanna

Yes you can find your iPhone using Find My iPhone but you cannot do cannot use iPhone to find your MacBook

• Kelley

Yes you can use the Find my iphone app to find a MacBook or an iMac.

22. Steven

yes you can if you install this app,

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8

you also need an Apple ID too. with it, you even can lock the device or erase it outright.

Install Find My iPhone app from Appstore on your iPhone. Also read this article : http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/find-iphone-stolen-iphone/