Is there any way on Mac, WinXP, or Ubuntu to increase windows and their contents to full screen?

Jake Wyatt July 11, 2010

Now, I’m not looking for the maximize button on the top of the window. I want something that will increase the size of the window, preferably full screen, while increasing the size of the objects in the window with it.

Example scenario:
I’m downloading a big file, so I want to get up and do things around the house, but I want to constantly know how the download is going. If I just maximize the window, I won’t be able to read the download speed, the amount of data downloaded, and I will only be able to see a skinny bar that I can barely see from 12 feet away. If the objects in the window stayed proportionate to the window, I should be able to see all the data fine from far away.

1. pceasies

You can lower the screen resolution. Normally you right click on the desktop and look for: "Properties" for XP, "Screen Resolution" for 7. I'm not sure how to in Ubuntu or Mac, but the general idea is the same. Smaller resolution makes everything bigger, and less sharp (fine for viewing from a distance)

In Windows, you can maximise the size of most browsers to full screen by pressing F11. This will eliminate the Windows task bar, and all the browser's "furniture" (scroll bars, window frame, tool bars etc). Not sure what the shortcut is in Ubuntu and the Mac.
    You might also want to check out Growl, which you can set to produce an audio notification at the end of a lengthy operation, such as a download.

• Jessica Cam W.

Pressing F11 for full-screen, and Control+"+" to increase the font would be the easiest way to achieve this in Firefox.

When you're back at your computer, use Control+"0" to go back to the original font size.