Why does my Mac shut down randomly?

Alex June 16, 2011

Whenever I am playing a game on my MacBook Pro, it will shutdown if the power cable is not connected. It used to do it at around 60%, but now does it at as high as 93%. I have an appointment with Apple on Saturday, but I was wanting to get an answer sooner.

1. Mjboc

I have a brand new battery and the problem persists. I will try Apple's suggestion below.

Alex,

did any of the tips above help you solve the issue? Please let us know in case you found a solution or whether you need more help. Thank you!

3. Joseph Gorman

You can also try recalibrating your battery before shelling out for a new battery. Per Apple's website,

1) Plug in your laptop and charge it until the MagSafe LED turns green and the menu bar meter says 100%.
    2) Leave it plugged in for at least 2 hours (you can use it during this time)
    3) Disconnect it and use it until it automatically sleeps.
    4) Allow it to sleep for at least 5 hours.
    5) Plug it in and charge it to full.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

If that doesn't work, it's time to replace it.

4. Rodrigo

It seems your battery is getting old (or defective) and suffering from something similar to Memory effect, but not exactly, as i assume it's a lithium-ion battery. When this happens, they stop correctly reporting their actual power status, hence the effect you see. Just replace it with a new one and you're good to go.