Why does my Mac not read the content of one folder on my external hard drive?

Lisa January 1, 2012

I have an external hard drive (Toshiba) that has mp3s on it. It is separated into several folders.

My Mac reads most of those folders and has access to the music, all but one folder. It sees the folder, but nothing inside of it. It reads it just fine on a PC. Help! Thank you.

1. Skubinna

I would check the file permissions on that specific foder. More than likely, the currently logged on user does not have rights to view the folder.

2. Daniel Joshua

Hi,
    I think that the HDD must be formatted in ex-FAT32 format so that it can be read on Mac.

Hope this helps

3. Mulder

You can't separate a hard drive into folders; you can divide it into several partitions, each formatted differently. I'm guessing that particular partition is formatted for Windows using a partition scheme that the Mac cannot read.

Hello, only thing I can suggest at the moment is to check the properties of that folder and compare it with the others.  If there are differences, just make sure to match properties of unreadable folder with the other than can be read.