Will the new Mac operating system upgrade work with my old OS X?
Question by Judy McCabe /

I own a Mac that’s almost 3 years old. It’s a 10.5.8 [OS X] and I need to know if the new Lion will work with my computer. It says it’s for 10.6 so I don’t want to waste my money on something that isn’t going to work correctly. Thanks for the help in advance. Judy

My Macbook pro is a 2007 model and it works just fine on Lion. Yes, you do need to have snow leopard first though, so upgrade to that before you attempt to install lion. 

With a 3 years old Mac I am tempted to say it will support Lion but it’s pretty easy to check that ~ click on the Apple logo in the top left and select About this Mac

Hardware requirements are:
    – Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor
    – 2GB of RAM
    – 7GB of available space

One little warning here is that an Intel Core Duo is NOT the same as an Core 2 Duo and will NOT support Lion.

Two things you do have to keep in mind:
    (1) Lion is only available via the Mac App Store which means you will have to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6.6 beforehand.
    (2) Mac OS X Lion no longer offers Rosetta which means PPC only applications will no longer run on it!

So if you do have some legacy Applications you cannot live without you probably want to check if it’s at least a universal binary and better it’s not being listed on the (unofficial) App Compatibility list.
    http://roaringapps.com/apps:table