How can I get my MAC to boot after using Ophcrack?

shelbi joseph July 20, 2010

I lost my MAC password, so I was trying to use Ophcrack live CD, but it doesn’t boot. Also tried booting the original MAC operating system DVD, but it doesn’t boot and enter the operating system. Also changed the boot order in the system preference, still no luck. Can you suggest me any other option? Thanks!

1. Kritrim

download Oph Crack .iso file and make bootable CD then boot using that CD. Try it.

2. William Brand

To get a Mac password back:

1. Hold down Command-S while booting
    2. When you get a prompt, type in mount -uw / and press enter
    3. Type in launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press enter
    4. Type ls /Users and press enter
    5. ls /Users will bring up a list of users, make sure you pay attention to the short name of the user whose password you forgot
    6. Type in "dscl . -delete /Users/shortname AuthenticationAuthority" Replace shortname with the one from step 5 and press enter.
    7. Type passwd shortname again replacing the shrotname with the one from step 5 and press enter.
    8. It should prompt you to enter a new password which can be of your choosing. After you're all done typing in the new password (and cofirming it) type in reboot to the console and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Just reread it, it won't boot at all? Can you elaborate on how far it gets?

• shelbi joseph

Thanks William for the detailed support. Excellent information for the future. Meanwhile I realised that I was using MAC intel cd to boot while my system is Power Mac. So managed to find a Power MAC dvd and could boot. On the main window from the utilities I could reset the pass. of course could n't retrieve the older one. This is what i did. Thanks for your support once again. regards

You can hold down 'C' when switching on to boot from DVD, or the Option key to choose which volume (i.e. DVD, hard disc etc) to boot from.

Lost mac password? Ophcrack is not safe on Mac. You can follow below tutorial to find mac password.
    http://www.macpassword.com/recovering-lost-mac-root-password.html

Good luck

• shelbi joseph

Thanks Brother for the interesting link. Namaste

5. Thes117

hold the down arrow, worked for me. then configure once booted so you dont have to force it everytime