Why do I lose my video after re-booting with dual graphics adapters and triple monitors?

Don Blevens October 28, 2012

I have a 6550D (from APU) with 1 monitor attached to it via DVI and a 6670 (std card) with 2 monitors attached to it via DVI & HDMI. My Bios has the option to pick which graphics adapter should be the primary adapter and I set it to the PCIe 6670 card. When Windows comes up, both monitors on the 6670 work but the monitor on the 6550D doesn’t. Windows “See’s”both graphics cards though.

So I install the AMD 12.10 drivers and it finds both graphics cards and all 3 monitors.Everything works fine, I have no problems. I can use the AMD desktop software to configure everything how I want. I can use Eyefinity, I can use all 3 monitors separately, extend my primary display across all 3, extend the primary across 2 of them and use the 3rd separately, I can run games (Diablo3) on 1 monitor or extend it onto more monitors. Everything works like I expect it to until….

I ReBoot. When I reboot, I lose the monitor(s) attached to the graphics card which isn’t set as the primary in the Bios. I run the display drivers software again and both cards and all 3 monitors come up, as before, and all works fine, as before.

I don’t know where to even begin to try to figure out what is going on. It could be an easy fix or a Windows problem, I don’t know. So… I thought I would start here and see if somebody could point me in the right direction.