Why do I lose my video after re-booting with dual graphics adapters and triple monitors?

Don Blevens October 28, 2012

I have a 6550D (from APU) with 1 monitor attached to it via DVI and a 6670 (std card) with 2 monitors attached to it via DVI & HDMI. My Bios has the option to pick which graphics adapter should be the primary adapter and I set it to the PCIe 6670 card. When Windows comes up, both monitors on the 6670 work but the monitor on the 6550D doesn’t. Windows “See’s”both graphics cards though.

So I install the AMD 12.10 drivers and it finds both graphics cards and all 3 monitors.Everything works fine, I have no problems. I can use the AMD desktop software to configure everything how I want. I can use Eyefinity, I can use all 3 monitors separately, extend my primary display across all 3, extend the primary across 2 of them and use the 3rd separately, I can run games (Diablo3) on 1 monitor or extend it onto more monitors. Everything works like I expect it to until….

I ReBoot. When I reboot, I lose the monitor(s) attached to the graphics card which isn’t set as the primary in the Bios. I run the display drivers software again and both cards and all 3 monitors come up, as before, and all works fine, as before.

I don’t know where to even begin to try to figure out what is going on. It could be an easy fix or a Windows problem, I don’t know. So… I thought I would start here and see if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Hello Don, even though I have an APU media center, unfortunately, I don't have much experience with configuring one for dual-monitor use. However, my gut here tells me that this is related to the interaction between the IGP and the discrete graphics card. If you are already rigged for Crossfire, then remove the Crossfire profile. If you aren't using CF, then keep reading:

Are you properly configured for Hybrid CrossfireX? I think AMD is nowadays calling it something like Dual Radeon Graphics or something similar. But it's pretty easy to setup. Just enable the profile in Catalyst and turn it on in your BIOS.

I've heard that Crossfiring is not all that great a buff to performance (using IGP + discrete). However, it might shake things up enough that you'll be able to use your monitors without reinstalling the drivers (or turn it off if it's already on).

Just a few other questions:

What happens when you set the IGP as the primary graphics adapter? Does it then fail to recognize the PCIe card? Or does that cause black screen?

2. Don Blevens

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Sitting right next to this PC is my older PC which has HD 4000 on-board graphics adapter and an HD 4600 add-on card. I have 4 monitors hooked up to it, 2 Mons to each card. It is running the same version of Win7 and the same version of AMD display drivers and it works like a charm. Plugged everything in and it worked from scratch with no special configuration. I think I'll work on this a while longer and if I can't find a fix I'll just disable on-board graphics and put in a HD7470 adapter which I have and see if that will work. Got to love trying to make different PC hardware work together.

You need to have 12.11 beta 4 version of driver as it's updated one and so might help you solve your problem -

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Legendary-AMD-Never-Settle-Drivers-Catalyst-12-11-Beta-301314.shtml

• Don Blevens

Tried it with no luck, Thank You

if a port is NOT active, it is on passive then you need to but active displayport adapter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030
    http://eu.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/DisplayPort-to-DVI-Active-Adapter~DP2DVIS
    http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

check if you can boot on two screen and if it works

This sounds like a driver-specific item. Does the video card manufacturer or AMD have anything listed in the knowledge base related to this issue? I really can't imagine that you would be the only one seeing this problem.Based on a quick search and using the few details I found in a couple of them, I would recommend the following procedure: Physically remove the video card from the system and only used the APU video with a single monitor until we get the the last steps. Remove the CCC software and drivers in its entirety (using Revo Unistaller or similar). Go to the Device Manager and view hidden devices. Remove all displays except the one attached to your APU. Reinstall the drivers and CCC software for your current configuration. Reinstall the video card with the other 2 monitors and let the system reinstall the proper drivers.Most of the related posts I found with this type of issue have been able to clear it up by cleaning out the crap about other monitor configurations and this process should do that for you without requiring you to play around in the registry making manual changes (so a bit safer).

• Don Blevens

I thought this might be a winner but it didn't work. Thanks