Why do I lose my TV’s signal when I connect my laptop to my HDTV using a VGA cable?

dennis December 30, 2011

Why do I lose my signal when I connect my laptop to my HDTV using a VGA cable? Is there something I need to change or a certain setting I need to use?

Hello, for Lenovo to change your display you can use the Fn + F7 keys together to change the display.  The following link will show you all the Fn combinations available for Lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-50023

In windows 7 you could try the following:

-- click on start
    -- control panel
    -- hardware and sound
    -- under Display, click on Connect to an external display
    -- This will take you the screen resolution display
    -- connect your laptop to TV, once that is done, click on detect
    -- Both monitors should show there, laptop and TV
    -- On display area, there should give you some extra options like extend monitor, mirror, etc.  If you want to set your TV as default you can do so there.  Just click on down arrow and make sure to select your TV as monitor
    -- click on apply and then ok

I used to have a lenovo laptop running vista a while back.  It was just a matter of connecting VGA cable to TV and then you would pressed the mentioned keys above and you would be able to see same screen on both monitor. 

Also another possibility is to look under All programs for Lenovo folder.  Once you find it, expand folder and you should see a software included called Presentation Director.  This software allows you to cycle through your monitor options.  Look for it and let me know.  If you by any change do not have that software included, you could probably download it in the Lenovo website.   

• Wochiengs

fidelis my laptop is e-machines(accer)
      at first the signal was there and everything was fine however after sometime the signal was lost.please help

Hello, may I ask the age of laptop?  Sometimes the blacklight goes in the monitor.  If that is the case, only thing to do would be to replace it.  Can you tell me more about the issue?  Does the laptop turn on at all?  Did you hear the fans and harddrive starting when you press the power button?  Let me know

Hello, what operating system are you running?  What is the brand and model of your laptop?  If you loose the signal it could be because you have not pressed the keys to transfer signal to HDTV as a monitor.  Most laptops have these keys, it is usually a Func key + F? key.  It varies with different manufacturer's and models.  You can also try opening your graphics card settings and make sure to detect your HDTV and set it as default or other options.    

Also you could try changing the input source for your TV with your remote control.  Turn TV on, click on the source button in remote control and change it to VGA.  Turn laptop on and see if that fixes it.  If you provide me with your laptop's brand name and model I could provide you with more specific information/instructions.

• Dennis

My laptop is a lenovo and my operating syatem is windows 7.