Why do I lose internet connection whenever I attempt to download a file?

robin May 29, 2011

I was fine, then I think I got some kind of bug. I have Windows XP and I am using 2010 Kaspersky security. Trying to download 2011 trial to fix it, but every time I go to download any kind of software, I lose connection to the internet and have to wait a few to reconnect. It happens over and over. Ideas?

1. Voli

I had the same problem, I reset my IP like ha14 said and it seems to have fixed the problem. Any idea what could cause this? So i'll know what to avoid next time.

Hello, just as a side note, you do not need to download the reset TCP/IP file.  You can just run the repair option in windows XP, and the network troubleshooter in windows 7.

2. 77685c

I have the same issue, I am using Internet Download Manager (IDM), used to work fine, now anytime I try to download a file it will drop internet connection (wireless) in a few seconds, but it will reconnect.   This happens without fail all the time now, I will resume the download then in a few seconds the wireless connection drops, then it will restart and I will resume download, never get more than a few MB before it drops.   This happens constantly.

were you able to fix your problem with the help provided by ha14 and FIDELIS? Please let us know. Thank you!

Hello, if your system is still infected by the bug you talk about, it will probably stop you from downloading any antivirus/antimalware program to protect itself.  Does your internet get cut off when you are downloading any other kind of file? 

Have you tried scanning your system on safemode?  Get into safemode and use your old version of kaspersky to do a full scan.  I know the old version probably does not have the latest updates, but if you are infected it will probably try to cure it or at least tell you what kind of bug your system has. 

Also you can try going into safemode with networking and download the trial version of kaspersky.  If you are on safemode, the bug will not cut your download off because when you start on safemode, only the basic drivers start.  There are also other well regarding antivirus software that you can get.  You can try and get the free version of avast which is pretty good.  Once the infection is cured, chances are your internet will work ok...if not you might have to enable/fix certain things like the ones mentioned by the previous commenter.

try to reset internet

Reset TCp/Ip
    download that file from microsoft

WinSock XP Fix

try to use a download manager when downloading files from internet like