Why can I no longer print on a shared printer from my laptop?

Patricia Lefler February 17, 2011

We have a wired/wireless router. When we first got my new laptop I was able to print from my laptop. The printer is physically attached and installed on another desktop computer in our home. The printer is an HP Deskjet F4240 and we have Windows 7 installed on both the desktop computer and the laptop.

My problem is that now when I try to print something, I get an error message saying something went wrong and can not print. Please help me. Thanks.

Hey Patricia,

Did you manage to get the printing from laptop work? Let us know.

Aibek

Hello, to help you better, can you be more specific about the error you get? What does it say?

Hi
    1)delete the drivers on both machines, downloaded the latest driver and re-installed on the Desktop. Then set up the share

or

1. On the laptop, select: Control Panel/ Printers /Add Printer

2. Choose Add Local Printer. (Yes Local, NOT Network.) Uncheck the box marked "Automatically detect my PnP printer. Click Next

3. Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port. Click Next

4. Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name. Key in

\Host nameprinter name

Host name - is the name of the desktop eg User- or Home etc.
    Printer Name - is MP530 or OffcPrnt, etc.

Click OK

5. Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. My particular model wasn't shown so I clicked on Windows Update. After an interminable wait the list of models was updated. I chose the closest match and will update the driver later.

6. When offered, indicate that you want a test print.