Why do I no longer have permission to access some files after re-installing Windows 7?

Ankur November 13, 2011

I reinstalled my Windows 7 few days ago. Some of the files kept on another drive now say “you don’t have correct permission to access the file location”. What can I do?

Hello, are you sure you created the accounts in your new installation with the same information from previous installation?

I would also take a look at your User configuration in Windows Control Panel.

Go to Control Panel > User Account and Family Safety > User Accounts > Select your user and make user you are set ad Administrator, if you aren't configured as Administrator, log off from your session, change users and for the new user try "admin" or "administrator" or "Admin" or any other variation. When you log in as admin go to the same location you were in the Control Panel, and select your personal account, from there click "Change account type" and select Administrator. Log off and log back in with your regular username.

Admins should have full read/write permissions on all drives.

Hope it helps.

Is it a genuine windows version?

How to Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder in Windows 7
    http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm