Why can I no longer see and open files on my BlackBerry memory card?

Sanjay April 26, 2011

My BlackBerry Storm has an additional card of 8 GB that I use also as an external pen drive. It used to work fine on my PC till a few months back.

Now, there is a problem. Whenever I connect the BlackBerry to the PC and use mass media storage option, the directory on the media card opens, but it does not show any of the files contained in the drive. It only shows an HTML file named “WMPinfo”.

When I open “My Computer”, I can see that the drive has requisite data from info on how much of drive memory is used up. But I cannot see or open any file.

The same problem had earlier happened with an external hard drive. That time I thought problem was with the drive. But since it is repeated now with Blackberry media card, it must be with the PC.

The USB slot works fine for cordless mouse and keyboard.

Given all this, I suspect problem is with PC and with software.

Please help.

1. Zox

I'm havin the same problem...all I do iz go to "files" on my bb then "file folders" then when you in there press ur "menu" key then go to "show hidden files".all ur files and everything else should still be there.

2. Issodore

M memory card does not show anything but once its connected to the computer i can see whatever is on the memory card....anybody with a solution as this has happened two days ago,before it use to work fine

• nicole

Hi, I just read your post and I am having the same porblem wit my blackberry. Did you find a solution, if you did please could you help!!

Nicole

• Susendeep Dutta

You need to firstly backup the contents of your card,format it using Blackberry and then restore it.I think that your card was formatted using PC.

• Susendeep Dutta

Have you formatted your card using PC? If yes,then you need to backup the data of the card,format it using Blackberry and then restore the backup back to the card.

3. Yunusadil 6666

i can see my files in my bb curve 8520 but am unable to see them when i connect it to my laptop??? can i just know abo d solution 
    thanks in advance 

Adil

4. Hamza2036

I have the same problem. Though I can access my files with browser from my computer or file manager softwares in my mobile but none of the file is visible when when I plug the card with computer! I know its some kind of a virus cz i cleaned it. But whenever I clean this virus all of my files are not visible any more! Every time i have to format the card in order to copy files again and see them.....please help!

Hamza,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Also, this question is rather old and it is unlikely that someone who can help you will see your question here.However, if you ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers, someone else may be able to help you!

5. jayjay

my blackberry was not encrypted and mine works in other devices, what do i do?

JayJay,

since I don't know the answer myself, I recommend that you ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers. Chances are that someone else may be able to help you, if they see your question posted.

6. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Quick questions @Sanjay:

Did you use that memory card on another blackberry? If you did, did that blackberry had encryption enabled? If that is the case then that is why you might be unable to see your files.

Blackberry encryption works in a way that only the "original" BB can access the files. What you would have to do is go back to the other BB insert your memory card, disable encryption from the security options and manually rename your files. The files will look like this: "BBPic00001.jpg.rem" You would have to manually remove the .rem extension from the files to remove the encryption and then you should be able to see the files from any other BB or a PC.

Hope it helps.

Sanjay,

did you try any of the tips above? Were you able to access your files again. Please do let us know. Thank you!

• Sanjay Saraf2000

Tina,

Sorry for not posting status update earlier.

I tried all solutions above, they did not work. Now, there is another symptom - the media card is not read from Blackberry also. But when I connect it to the PC, the free memory shown indicates the files are still there. In fact, using Blackberry Manager, I could even import the pictures to desktop.

But neither blackberry reads media card, nor do the files show up when I try to use it as flash drive. Earlier this was not the case.

I intend to reinstall the operating system. But I don't know how to go about it. The Blackberry website says that download the OS from your operator's site. Operator's site (Docomo India) does not seem to have OS file for Blackberry Storm.

I will have to figure out something. Meantime, the update is here and if someone can still help, it will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Sanjay

8. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Does this happen on every computer you plug your BB Storm to? If that is the case your BB Storm microSD could have a virus that "blocks" your files, and your external HDD could have that too. If it only happens in that one computer then it could be the other way around and your PC is infected with some sort of virus that "blocks" external HDDs. If your PC runs Windows try connecting your mobile to a computer running Linux or Mac.

Can you access those files from your mobile? Try looking for them using the native file browser on your mobile (for my BB Tour its Media>Explore, using the full menu), if you can see those files there, then we now have more info to move forward. Try checking your encription settings (on my Tour Opstions>Memory if it's enabled try disabling it).

I sugest you scan your computer with a mix of your favorite Antivirus program and antimalware/spyware (a lethal mix of Superantispyware and Malware Bytes), it could very well solve the problem and it doesn't hurt in the first place.

Let us know how it goes!

malware can HIDDEN all the files, so scan with your security soft.

Try the windows fix it center
    http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

*HOW TO REPAIR THE WINDOWS EXPLORER BUG ASSOCIATED
    1. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DELETE

2. OPEN THE TASK MANAGER

3. CLICK ON PROCESSES TAB

4. END ‘EXPLORER.EXE’

5.CLICK ON APPLICATIONS TAB

6. CLICK ‘NEW TASK’

7. TYPE ’EXPLORER.EXE"

The Problem should now be solved. Sometimes it is a permanent fix.

or
    Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen,
    click on Disk Management. It should show up on the right hand side of the
    screen. Assign it a drive letter.

have you installed daemon tools? or some kind sot?

The fix is to delete some files from WINDOWSSYSTEM32

sptd.sys
    secdrv.sys
    sptd.sys
    sptd????.sys (???? = numbers)