Why can I no longer use Microsoft Office 10 despite valid product key?

Denny Lawton November 7, 2010

Microsoft Office 10 has suddenly become ‘expired’. I can no longer access my Excel or Word programes. I have re-installed and entered the Product Key, but to no avail.

1. david

I seriously advice you to try Open Office, files are much lighter, and you can always save as doc -as well as open those bloody docx files, etc. Fabulous extensions in the site, a community always willing to reply. It is free software, and it is also software for free.

2. MerryannP

I'm not sure about "expired", but I do know you are allowed only a certain number in installs using a given product key. If you are in the habit of re-installing software to fix problems (without doing an uninstall), you may have used up your given number of installs.

The only way you can get your key re-validated is to call Microsoft Customer Support & tell them what your problem is. They can reset the key to allow additional installs.

It is very important with newer Microsoft products to remember that you cannot re-install without uninstalling. The uninstall registers the removal of the software from the computer in the MS database online & resets that key for an additional installation.

Oh - yes, I speak from experience on this one!

• Dennylawton

Thanks for your response. If I unstall and re-install the software, will I lose my save documents? I find this all quite weird as there is no expiry on my software.
      Cheers Denny

Denny,

you will not lose saved documents when you uninstall and reinstall Office. Just don't keep them in any folders that will be deleted when you uninstall Office, i.e. the program folders.

You can actually open the office files with Open Office!

What you will lose are your settings or templates that you created. You can back those up, though and restore them later.

• Babybeugs

Wow! Thanks a bunch. We uninstalled a bare bones version that came with the computer with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 and it immediately became active.