Why can I no longer hibernate Windows 7?

Sandeep September 22, 2011

I am using Windows 7 and it was working fine before booting problem repair. After repair, my Windows 7 booting problem everything working fine, but hibernate option not working properly. When I press hibernate button from start menu power option, system goes to switch user and doesn’t hibernate system. Please solve my problem.

Sandeep,

did you solve your issue with not being able to hibernate Windows 7?

run this tool
    http://www.xp-smoker.com/refreshpc.html
    Reset your PC's settings safely and easily.

How to Change the Power Plan Settings in
    Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/778-power-plan-settings-change.html

Do you have the "Auto Hide" feature for the taskbar enabled? This may cause the hibernation to suspend. Disable it if it is enabled.

This happened to me after I updated to Windows 7 SP1 (it wouldn't wake up at all after hibernation or sleep), I ended up having to update my drivers (Video card specifically) with Slim Drivers.  

If Auto Hide is not enabled and your drivers are up to date your Hiberfil.sys may be corrupted. This most commonly happens when you shut down your computer during hibernation (you're supposed to wake it up first, then shut it down). Follow these steps to disable, then re-enable hibernation. You must also enable power saving mode.Then open up an elevated command prompt (Start -> Search: "cmd.exe" right click on the result and chose "Run as administrator"). When the CMD appears, type in it "sfc /scannow" and wait for it to finish. If it finds any problems it will require that you insert your Windows 7 disk so it can restore the file. 

If all else fails, make sure your power saving's profile is properly configured.