Why can I no longer connect to the internet?

Malik March 25, 2010

My PC can see the router and vice versa, but I still can’t get on the internet.

I think it has something to do with the unsuccessful SP3 download. I ended using a Winsock fix, but I have to use it every time I turn the pc on.

Running XP on an HP! Any suggestions?

Malik,

did you sort out your internet connection issues? If you can connect again, would you mind sharing what the problem was? Thank you!

I would recommend doing a system restore to before the update. If you have not disabled it you will be able to get to it from all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore. Let me know how it goes.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection. What kind of router. How does the winsock fix help you?

wired connection! Went online and googled my problem. A winsock fix was recommended and works as long as I don't turn the pc off!

4. Steve Campbell

Malik,

If you recently upgraded to SP3 you can try Recovery Console and set back your computer's registry to a time before the update so you can try installing the update again. If not, I would look into backing up all your files and doing a clean reinstall of windows.

If it really is just your internet giving you trouble you could look into reinstalling the drivers for your network card as well. You can find them on HP's support page.

I reinstalled the Net card and drivers. Same situation.