Why can I no longer access Windows 7 after deleting Windows.old and how can I fix it?

Mursyidin Letterman April 26, 2012

From the first time I’ve got my laptop, my siblings kept using it until one day it blacked out. So what we did was sent it to a computer shop and reset all of the program. Then it grip consciousness again. Yeah, what a relieve.

The issue is, I’ve downloaded too much software in my Windows 7 recently, so the “Local Disk(C:)” memory status bar displayed red. My older brother saw this and gone rage. He uninstalled every software I’ve downloaded and the memory status bar shown normal again. But the unsatisfied feeling in his heart somehow compelled him to delete more. And more. His bloody eyes saw this files named “Windows.old”.

I don’t know what’s that, but he thought it was useless as for the word “old”. So he delete it. And now we can’t access the “Local Disk(C:)” and even worse, we can’t delete anything that has already resided inside the laptop. Anything we downloaded since then can’t be deleted too. Then there will be notification says “Location is not available”

*So anyone, please, please, please!!! help me!! I don’t know what had happened and what to do to fix it.

1. Mursyidin Letterman

I have just opened the laptop in Safe Mode and I don't know why, but I have accessed the Local Disk (C:) and deleted all of the useless stuff. Why does this happened?? But finally I got to delete the shortcut that my cousin have made on Desktop.. :D Gratefully, you guys some how had help me. Thank you

2. Henree Arriola de Garcia

Pop in your Windows DVD and repair the computer. It should generate all the missing system files.

Hello, the windows.old file/folder also appears when a system has been repaired. Chances are, in the computer shop they repaired your system and therefore the windows.old folder was formed. Best thing for you to do would be to take the computer back to shop and explain your situation, maybe they can help you. I would say that once the system was restored, they created a restore point to go back too.

Windows.old is created when you upgrade windows to new version, so during upgrade all your files and settings will be preserved, actually you recover your windows desktop at the same state but with new Windows OS. it can be used to recover files accidently deleted during upgrade. You can delete Windows.old if you see that the upgrade was successfull and all your files are there.

So deleting Windows.old should not cause problem. Now to tey fix your problem You can boot on Windows OS cd choose restore point to revert back before deleting windows.old. This is the safest method.

are you able to boot laptop if can’t access the “Local Disk(C:)”?
    there is this software UnlockDiskmyself never used it
    http://ldc.mx/unlockdisk.php
    perhaps can help to unlock drive C?

• Mursyidin Letterman

It says that the Local Disk (C:) is not accessible. I really wanted to shows you the Print-Screen that I've made, but I can store anything nor delete it. My cousin had accidentally made about 30 shortcut of the same things on the desktop and I can't delete it. I really wanted to use that software, but I can't download it, it says that Local Disk(C:) is not accessible, location is not available, and access is denied. The weird is, I still can open the internet... Wtf is going on?? T-T Should I buy another Windows 7???