Why can I no longer access my secured wireless internet at home?
Question by Ryan /

I went to visit a friend at university for the weekend and while I was there I took advantage of the WiFi connection they have set up for their students.

When I got home however, I discovered that I could not connect to my wireless home network. Everytime I typed in the network security key, it would not do anything for about a minute and then it would ask me for the key again.
I am able to connect to the network provided that I turn the security off but obviously this is not something I wish to do long-term. I replaced the router to no avail.

I’m certain that whatever they did to my laptop to allow me to access the internet at the university is the reason I cannot connect at home.

I’m running Windows 7 and using a Siemens router for Bell-Aliant High Speed Internet. All help is appreciated!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
New Security Breaches
New Security Breaches

• Rudrakabir

Check your proxy settiings on your computer. They might have changed it since they censor internet at places like this. Hope this helps.

Sources:(Personal Experience)

Ryan,

were you able to connect to your wireless internet at home again? If yes, do you know what caused you trouble previously? How did you solve the problem? Please share your solutions. Thank you!

Did you try System Restore? That should bring your wireless connection setting to an earlier state. I have done this a couple of times myself.

• Taty

First, check that the connection you are trying to use is yours, and not auto defaulting to the college connection. Also check what security settings you are using, wep, wpa, and make sure it matches the router's security settings. Look at your lan settings and see if they are all set to auto detect settings, as opposed to using pre-defined settings that could be from the college. Let us know if that helps.