Why can I no longer access folders on my Windows hard drive?
Question by Mehdi /

I got this problem last night. Most of my folders on my hard drive could not be opened, but some of them can. It transformed into ‘shortcut’ type. When I clicked the folder shortcut, last night after I scanned for the virus, the new window appeared and the files could be accessed.

But just now, after I scanned the virus for the second time and tried to access the file, an error message appeared: ”Windows cannot find ‘D:\RECYCLER\f4448e25.exe’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for file, click the start button, and then click Search.”

Help me!

• Blackb9780

THANX A MILL !!!!!!

— make sure to stay in safemode, you do want to go to the Recovery option– open up windows explorer, Start>Programs>Accessories>Explorer– Navigate to the following path: Tools>Folder Options>View>– once there, make sure to uncheck the following entries:** display the contents of system folders** hide extensions for known file types** hide protected operating system files(Recommended)– Press Apply and then OK

this worked fine on my EXTERNAL HDD

• vidareal

im having the same problem but is a external hard drive any one help :(

• Matt Novotny25

Download any of Linux Live CD. Install it to your pen drive with tool UNetBootin. Then just restart your computer, boot from pen drive to linux. Connect your external hard drive. You will see all of your folders. You have to create new folder and copy everything from folders that are on your ext hdd to new folder, that you created earlier. Than just erase all

• Euvizioexpress

But I’m using external hard drive

Medi,

were you able to access your folders following the instructions above? Please let us know!

Hello, that is a classic result when you have been infected worm.  Your best bet is to clean your system by accessing safemode.  What were the results of your virus scan?  The following are simple instructions to remove the recycler worm manually.

— Reboot your computer into Safe Mode by pressing F8 as the machine boots up
    and select safe mode from the DOS menu.

— make sure to stay in safemode, you do want to go to the Recovery option

— open up windows explorer, Start>Programs>Accessories>Explorer

— Navigate to the following path:  Tools>Folder Options>View>
    — once there, make sure to uncheck the following entries:

** display the contents of system folders

** hide extensions for known file types

** hide protected operating system files(Recommended)

— Press Apply and then OK

— leave windows explorer open and then navigate to the root of the C:
    drive and remove AUTORUN.INF and any files that end in *.CMD and *.BAT
    excepting for AUTORUN.BAT and COMMAND.COM which are legacy files you may
    or may not have. Now go to C:Recycler and remove anything located in
    the folders that look like recycle bins, if you are on a network there
    will be more than one.

— delete all entries of the virus on your disk
    — remove from Registry by doing the following:

*** Open Registry Editor. Click Start > Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.

*** In the left panel, double-click the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Active Setup>Installed Components

In the left panel, locate and delete the key:

{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAX5-90401C608512}

— close REGEDIT
    — click on Start > Run and then type MSCONFIG and press enter.

— select startup on menu and uncheck any misspelt entries such as
    Microssoft and Norrton, also take into account the command of this
    startup entry, navigate to where these files are located and delete them
    from your disk.

When the above steps are finished, restart your system and do a full virus scan.  It your system is reported as clean, make sure to disable system restore and then enable it again.

if you have a restore point then use windows restore point to revert back.

If you used any regcleaners they must have created a registrey backup, so try to use that.

if cant be accessed then try in safe mode

Download CAT-Crisis Aversion Tool
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/crisistool/files?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sourceforge%2Fexport%2Frss_sfnewsreleases+(Sourceforge%3A+New+Releases)