For how long can I use my bootable “Repair” CD created through Windows 7 Backup & Restore?

c-squared August 28, 2011

And so I follow the process:
Control Panel -> Backup & Restore -> Create a “Repair” CD.

My instinct tells me that the bootable “rRepair” CD that I made today is no longer useable after a certain length of time (4 weeks, 3 months, 2 years, whatever).

Wouldn’t the inevitable OS updates, security patches, etc. that get installed render the “Repair” CD obsolete?

How often should I need to create a newer “Repair” CD ?

Thank you.

c-squared

You can look to windows update center and if you see an important update then you can recreate the Restore Cd. Also remember you can also update windows through windows update center. The question will be if the cd will repair windows if those patches updates are not included well only SP1 can be important but i believe the cd should be able to repair (MBR) at least restart windows.

Now on Windows 7 when you do SFC /Scannow you dont need to insert the WIndows 7 cd which means that will repair Windows which was not possible for instance WIth XP. Xp always asked for CD upto date with SP....

Also there is acronis true image that can be set up in order to make automatic windows backup into a secure zone or external media and you can recover your windows from there easily. This also will backup all your work that you have in front of you on the desktop.

Hi C²,

No, the CD wouldn't be obsolete, simply the content. In other words, you'll still be able to restore, you'll just be restoring to a historic state. However, you should create a new repair CD after any significant changes to the system, such as new service packs. I think you're under the impression that it is restoring user content, in which it is not. Rather it is restoring the "structure" of the operating system. You should create another backup for your personal files.