What login system does MakeUseOf use to track points and etc?

Ibrahim Nadir September 10, 2012

I wish I could have a system for my users like MakeUseOf has. Is there a plugin or what. Premium or free?

1. Alexis Akridge

There are many lovely social apps, of which I take full advantage of, and my friends thank me for it! :)

2. Ahmed Khalil

Is this mean you know what is the plat form they use to build the site (like wordpress as an example)

you should start from this point

We use a provider called Gigya, but there is no free plan I dont think. Check out Janrain.com for free social login, though the points mechanism is separate. If you wanted points to, check out some BuddyPress plugins, though I cant be any more specific there. My article on BuddyPress would be a great starting point, and Janrain.

http://janrain.com
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/complete-community-site-buddypress-wordpress/

• Ibrahim Nadir

saw ur article on livefyre yesterday. Before that i was using social login but when i saw that article i shifted to livyfyre. Can i still use janrain or go to buddypress now james?

• muotechguy

LiveFyre is partenred with Janrain, no problems with the two working together. However, you might start needing premium options when you try to tie everything together; you dont get a good social login solution for free, generally.

• Ibrahim Nadir

ok so this means to make a points system i can hv livefyr and janrain. but why need both when livefyr has login options already? also its looks a good comment system.
          One thing more that confuses me. How did u manage to replace the login app in the plugin. I think when someone logins to ur site using gigya, the ap they use is of makeuseof rather than gigya right? Is it allowed if i change for livefyre? do u think it will create legal or developing issues?

• muotechguy

... that's the point at which you need to start paying a company to integrate. Yes, livefyre logs in to comment, but not site login. Janrain does site login, but probably wont login to comment with livefyre. Gaming requires a further third party plugin, which i suggested with buddypress (though cant remember the details of it).

Honestly, you probably dont need it. It sounds like youre just trying to copy us at MakeUseOf, which is flattering; but we have millions of users everyday, which is why it works. Concetrate on makoing valuable long-form content; the tutorials you post now are far too short. Only think about this kind of gimmicky when you have a large audience and are monetized.

• Ibrahim Nadir

you are right. i need to focus more on the content rather than these things. also i shouldn't just copy muo to make myself or my site better. Apologies... still thanks to u and MUO community... you guys r great!

4. Usman Mubashir

There is a Facebook App that enables users to log into other websites using their Facebook account.

• Nicky Angel

I saw it too, but dunno whats it called?

• Ibrahim Nadir

its called social login, there are two or three plugins like that. :) I thought so that the Kick-Ass developer James Bruce has made a custom one and it is that way. Man,,,, shit i love this website.

5. Matt Smith

We use a plugin called James, our developer ;)

He might pipe in with more information, but it's no easy, free plugin. I imagine everyone would be using it if it were!