What can I do when someone keeps trying to log into my Windows Live Mail 2011 account?
Question by Tony /

When I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a message appears saying that my account was locked due to someone trying to log in with incorrect email address or password. I click OK to continue, and a sign-in page comes up with the wrong info. I just delete it and Windows Live starts downloading my new emails.

This has been happening for some time. Obviously, someone is after my info. Should I reinstall Windows Live or do you have any other suggestions to stop these constant attacks? Thanks, Tony.

I click OK to continue, and a sign-in page comes up with the wrong info

This statement makes me think that it’s actually some phishing attempt. 
    Have you verified the Sign-in page? Is it a valid page from Microsoft?

In general I think you did the right thing by disregarding those emails. I still agree with Jeff to contact Microsoft about a possible hack attempt.

• Jeff Fabish

They are probably bruteforcing your password online, not from your computer (you can sign into Windows Live online).

My advice is to keep changing your password and make them secure. Truth is, Microsoft probably won’t reply to your inquery about stopping the bruteforcer, as they don’t even help people after they’ve been hacked. Consider switching to another email service, such as Gmail.

This doesn’t have to mean someone is trying to crack your password, either. There are applications called “Freezers” which attempt to login under your account (purposefully) with bad credentials so that it gets locked out. This has been happening for years now and Microsoft still hasn’t responded to the threat, meanwhile other email services are long past the issue.

• Tony

Thank you Jeff, Jay, & Mike for your time to answer, much appreciated.
      Well, it has been a very frustrating time, I spent hours not wanting to give up, looking for a malware folder in my program files, etc., while doing it, my AVG 2012 scan found a virus “Trojan.FakeAlert”, although I don’t think this was related to my long protracted saga. 
      I don’t use WindowsLive mail very much, just as well their help page is very close to useless, my primary is gmail which I find excellent.
      Finally, I surrendered to the challenge and uninstalled WndowsLive, and as suggested I signed in online with HTTPS mail live.  All seems fine, no more intruders.
      Cheers, Tony.

• Tony

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks for your feedback, Tony!

I just signed up for windows live mail today, so what I think is:
    You should contact windows live cusomer care and inform that someone is trying to hack your account.
    may be they can block the ip address of the person.
    here :http://windowslivehelp.com

but I could not find a link that can lead me to send an email.

you can visit forum on the same help page, and ask fellow users.

but you can not stop someone from trying to sign in, unless his ip address is blocked from signing in.

Even if you reinstall your messenger, will it make a difference to the person trying to guessing your password and signing in ?

If possible you should create a new ID and keep it as private as possible.
    so, at least strangers can not try this attacks.

If you dont get some help from windows live, you will have to wait til the person gets tired and gives up the attempts to log in.

And, what kind of wrong sign in info is displayed when you sign in ? may be you can get a clue from it .