Why can I not log out or in on MakeUseOf?

macwitty September 20, 2012

I’m using Chrome on a Mac. Yesterday I logged in to this site and everything worked well.
Today, when I started Chrome, I was still logged in, at least my avatar was in the upper right corner of the window together with name, point and so on. Well, that was fine to me – not have to log in every day.

But I am not logged in! I can not see anything of my profile or answer and can not log out – nothing happens when I press “Logout”.

I had to open an incognito window and log in there to be able to use the site as lohged in.

Is it a bug or is there something I have missed?

1. Deekshith Allamaneni

Clear your browser "cookies". I am sure you'll be able to log out.

2. trx suspension trainer

This unique trx pro software is in fact truly wonderful, it has a great number of characteristics as well as capabilities.

3. Gordon Hay

@James Bruce -James, I have a variation of the problems detailed here and another log-in problem question.

I normally log-in with the google button and though this, and the FB one seemed to work properly, when the page re-loads the register/log-in section is still there, even though I am obviously logged in and allowed to comment. I have not seen the welcome/logged in display or links to my profile etc. for a number of days now.

I have cleared the cache (Firefox), & deleted all MUO and gigya cookies then logged in again but the situation is still the same as I type this comment.

Is this just a temporary blip because of the update/improvement work you are doing just now?

4. Freecycle Me

I too just had this problem on chrome in windows. I did have adblocker as pages seem to take a long time to load without it. It was working fine until today. I took off adblocker and still could not log in. I wish Makeuseof would put in a secondary form of login as the issue affected Chrome, IE and Firefox on the same machine so this makes me think it may have been a network or security issue. I appreciate that it is great to have the current set up but its infuriating when you cannot login

• Gordon Hay

FM - See my comment to JB, below. I too thought that my attempts to log-in were unsuccessful until today when I scrolled down to the comments section on a page and realised that, although the register/log-in message was still displayed at the top right of the page, I was in fact logged-in and able to comment.

5. ahmed Fouad khalil

this issue usually happen if your network security setting not work well with the site

6. macwitty

Okay, so clean cache and cookies is the clue
    A bit of a pain if you are loged in with "remember me" at a lot of places
    I think I'll continue with using incognito-window when I go here

Thanks all for you help!

7. Mauro Vitali

it also happen to me!
    you just have to clear the cookies and then refresh the page...
    and then eat a f**** cookie to let them know who is the boss!!!

8. GrrGrrr

it is something common to all.
    May be a post should be made on MUO on this issue

btw- clean cache, cookies & keep running

We have an issue with the comment form right now, but your profile should be working fine. Could you send me some screenshots of your browswer viewing makeuseof and a separate one showing your active plugins? To jamesbruce@ this site. Thanks!

10. Jhon H. Caicedo

I would say that there is a bug in Makeuseof.com, some days the login system works fine, others you cannot login, the website needs to be fixed we cannot be clearing cache every time it fails.

I have to post this comment as visitor event when the upper section of the screen shows me logged in

That definitely shouldn't be happening, but I can't replicate the problem on my end. Could you send me some screenshots of your full browswer window when viewing makeuseof (scroll down to the comment area on a regular article), and your active plugins? To jamesbruce@ this site. Thanks! And apologies for the errors; I've been having to make some major changes as an emergency to cope with a sudden influx of new users. We're still working out the kinks as you can see. And by "we're", I mean me ;)

• macwitty

Here is the screen when it don't work
        https://skitch.com/macwitty/ew2k2/comment

Active plug in:
        1Password
        DropboxDiff
        FlashBlock
        Print or PDF with CleanPrint
        Readability
        WhatFont

I'm sorry, I dont see a problem there. You are logged in, and the comment form recognizes that. What seems to be the issue?

11. Shayne Selwonk

clear your cache, (clear history)