Why can I not log into eBay using Internet Explorer?
Question by kvet1 /

A while back I could not upload photos to eBay and they recommended to add Firefox, so I did. Since then I have not been able to sign on to eBay using Internet Explorer. How can I solve this error and be able to access eBay with Internet Explorer again?

• Dastine69

ive, done it all with the same and even reinstalled IE8, i get the same results, the error the says” opps that didn’t go well” !!OMG !!! this so maddening!!
     i have done many other fixes with the same sesults, and the list goes on and on,, even loaded Monzilla Firefox,,, and the same issues???? only Ebay is the one that i can’t get to, no matter what!! any suggestions???Thanks!!

• Kvet1

I actually never resolved the problem with the old computer i originally had the problem with. I upgraded to a new computer with much more hard drive room and Windows 7 pro, and IE 9. Ebay so far comes in fine now with no problems using IE9. I do not know yet what caused it not to work anymore on the old computer.

Here is a nice graphic that shows how “good” Internet Explorer 9 is compared to Firefox 4. That is the latest version of Internet Explorer compared to the latest version of Firefox.

In other words, don’t complain about Internet Explorer. Just get Firefox or Chrome or Safari or Opera or basically any other browser out there, and as you can see, there are a lot!

• Barry

If eBay cannot be bothered to support IE6 users then I suggest that we should stop using eBay altogether. I will not upgrade my browser just for their benefit. In many ways we would be better off without them as really they have become a bit of an addiction. I will carry on until eBay hopefully improves its support, otherwise when it becomes insufferable I’ll ditch it. If eBay loses a big chunk of its members it will maybe think again.

Internet Explorer 6 is 10 years old. It’s an outdated piece of software with tons of issues. Why would eBay bother to comfort a user base that holds on to software that is ridden with security holes and problems? That would be outright stupid and a waste of their resources.

I advise you to upgrade all your software to the latest version, i.e. upgrade Internet Explorer to version 8! This is necessary to get rid of bugs and security holes. Otherwise you are inviting hackers and malware to populate your computer. Besides, compared to its competitors, Internet Explorer is a terrible browser, no matter which version. Get a decent browser like Chrome or Firefox.

I would be ashamed to use a 10 year old software like Internet Explorer 6 and publicly defend it, even though there are plenty of more secure, free, and much better alternatives available. That’s like holding on to Windows 2000 and saying it was (!!!) the best operating system ever. Smarten up, you’re being ridiculous!

I hope my message arrived. Apology for sounding rude.

• Kvet1

Thank You for the comment, JC. On windows XP the button does not say reset though. I wanted to know if the “clear SSL state” would be the same as a reset button. I could not find an answer regarding that particular button in the help menu.

• JC

right. i fixed my error for some time (however following a recent crash my pc seems to be doing it again) seems the gist of it was to reset your SSL state in IE
    Tools>internet options> content> reset ssl state
    then close and reopen windows

• Kvet1

JC, oops I did not put my first reply as reply. Thank You for the comment. In windows XP I have a “clear SSL state” button. I am unsure if that is the same as reset. I could not find a answer in the help menu. Would that be the button you refer to? Is that the same as reset?

• Jhumensky

i try to enter ebay and a little box appears saying you can not enter please help—this just started i have been in ebay all day john

did you try any of the fixes suggested above?

If they do not work for you, I suggest that you post a new question. Please link to this question and mention that none of the tips here worked. Also include any error messages you see, since when this has been going on, whether you changed anything just before that etc. Thank you!

• JC

i also have this problem. I have done all the above, uninstalled ie8 and gone back to 7 which also didnt work, now re-installed 8.
    is your copy of windows genuine?

• Kvet1

Yes, my windows is genuine. Came preinstalled on the computer at purchase.

• Kvet1

Yes, i have done that also before. I deleted the old files, cookies, etc. No, this did not work. I cannot sign in to ebay with IE but I can sign in on FF.

Thanks for the feedback Kvet.
      The issue may resolve itself once you need to re-install Windows. But since you can log into eBay using other browsers it’s not worth the hassle.
      If you happen to fix the problem, please let us know what did the trick. Thank you!

did you try Jack’s suggestions? Are you able to log into eBay using IE now?

• Jack Cola

I suggest clearing your Cache, cookies and other information in your browser. Or just ditch IE all together and use Firefox.As many people would agree (especially web developers), IE is the worst browser of them all.

And you would probably notice a performance increase as well using FF