Can I use a locked iPhone 4S in India?

Vivek December 13, 2011

I wanted to bring an iPhone 4S from the US to India. Can the phone, which is AT&T locked, be used in India on GSM networks? I’m speaking of the locked $199 version, not the unlocked $599 one.

1. gary pinto

hey i have bought a iphone4s from us but its locked so plz gv me sum feedback wheather it can b unlocked

• prashant

hey gary pinto...u have a locked contract iphone...? and if yes then tell me how u get it bcoz my relative is in usa and soon coming to india...!

2. nisarg shah

I wanted to buy an iPhone 4S from the US and bring it India. Can the phone, which is AT&T locked, be used in India on GSM networks? I’m speaking of the locked $199 version which is under contract , not the unlocked $599 one
    can we use the i-phone 4S locked $199 version with a turbo card....???. please rply me as soon as possible on my mail id.. nisly_megu2yahoo.com

3. sumit sethi

Do ya want to sell ya i phone 4s in 350$ in india or does anyone want to sell at&t or any other carrier locked i phone 4s in india in 350$ then contact me on 999999-1984. i can buy as many pieces ya have.

Thanks!

• Pratik sharma

hey can you tell me how to unlock iphone 4s in india with wind operator from canada............

• Susendeep Dutta

It's illegal to do so.

• bahadur

we all know that and hence we are here...otherwise no need :D

4. ravinder

hey bro i want also buy iphone4s locked version becoz its in my budget can u give me any link where i can buy iphone4s in cheaper price like u.....as i know iphone4s come with ios5.1 and may be there is a untheather jailbreak for it and u can unlock it after doing jailbreak,,,,,,,,,,,but dont upgrade it after doing jailbreak or dont restore otherwise it will locke again(plz tell me where i can buy iphone4s in $199(near about 10000INR).........PLZ MAIL ME

5. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Ok, The only difference is the contract, The phone is exactly the same, just ATT sells it cheaper if you go with a contract. ATT will unlock most of there phone for you, but not in the case of the iPhone

Yes, I said it can be unlocked, Any phone could be unlocked.

Basically the phone has to be jailbroken. but I can not get specific unless I know what iOS version your running, and what model iPhone you have. 

• Onkar Vallal

Can i unlock an iPhone 4S in india???

or at my home ???

I have a Locked phone myself, but it's iPhone 4 not the 4S model. I was able to bypass the lock using Gewey Turbo sim card. i am not sure if it would work with iPhone 4s though.

Check it out, http://www.geveysim.org/how-to-use-gevey-sim.html

• Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

That seems alot easier than the way I have been doing it. I will have to remember that. 

I don't think it matters too much on whether its a 4/4s, just the iOS version. But I not 100% on that, I have to do more research :)

6. Richard Carpenter

Well, To keep it simple, It has to be unlocked to use any other service. You can unlock the phone yourself, but ATT states that the iPhone is not eligible to be unlocked.

Some links for you:
    http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/11/18/att-iphone-4s-unlock-with-no-software-no-hardware-no-jailbreak-video/

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&cv=820#