How can I lock my Windows computer while I’m not at home?

FunnyLady November 24, 2010

When I go to Users in Control Panel, it indicates that I and my 4 children are all administrators. Is that possible? I want to password protect my computer to keep them offline when I’m not at home, except they are administrators, too. Suggestions?

1. krish

does anyone know to modify and tweak and build a whole new vista ultimate sp2

Krish,

you should ask this as a new question.

2. Rishi1592

thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    your answer is always help me
    tina

3. David Lab13

set password in bios

The kids will love you for this one, David. ;)

If she wants to keep them off the computer, not just off the internet, that's the way to go.

• Mohammadi

how can I set password in bios?

You can access the BIOS when you boot. Typically, you need to click [DEL] or [F1] to enter the BIOS. Pay attention to what your machine says when you boot.

Once you're in the BIOS, navigate to the > Security tab and you should be able to enter a password. How exactly this looks like depends on the type of BIOS installed on your machine. Here is an article with a screenshot: http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=biospsw

Note that the BIOS password will be required to boot your machine. So if you lose it, you lose access to your machine!

• David Lab13

depends on computer. Hit F2 or del or esc key or some combination when computer starts up. there is usually an entry to set password.

FunnyLady,

you can password protect your own account as well as those of your children. If your account is administrator, you can possibly reduce the accounts of your children to a limited account.

I guess you are running Windows XP. Right-click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. In the left hand menu, go to 'Local Users and Groups'. Open the 'Users' folder and double-click on the user account you wish to change. Go to the 'Managed by' tab and remove 'Administrators'. Then click add and type 'Users' into the text field and click 'OK' to add the account to the users group. Note that you must keep at least one Administrator account on your computer!

However, they will still be able to log into the computer using their own account, even if your account is the only and password protected administrator account. Can they not access the internet using a limited account or if you are not logged in?

Your situation seems pretty complicated. A much more sensible approach would be to teach your kids how to work responsibly with the computer, so that you would not have to worry about them using the internet while you're not at home. If you can leave them home alone, they must be old enough anyways.

You could also work with internet filters that prevent them from accessing certain websites. Is that an option?

Please let us know whether this answer was helpful. Thank you!