How can I take a local XAMPP install live?
Question by Keith Davis /

I’ve been using XAMPP for my local machine to test plugins etc., but have never used it to build a site and then take it live.

Do you have an article or could you direct me to an article that shows you how to go from local to live server for a WordPress install?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Keith Davis

Hi James
    That’s right… “migrating the site – moving it – to a web host; rather than running your own live server on your PC, right?”

I’ve set up a site locally, uploaded themes, graphics, plugins etc and rather than go through the whole process again on the live site I’d like to use what I have on the live server.

It is a WordPress site and it will be shared hosting.
    Site is not big… approx 20 / 25 pages and just 2/3 posts.

I understand the process you are describing and I know how to import / export databases using PHPMyAdmin so it would be great to see an article.

Some of my concerns are around the paths to the graphics etc all being wrong!

Appreciate your reply James, and if you do get time for a full article, that would be fantastic.

On the case. Should be published in a week or so. To summarise in advance though:

export using phpmyadmin, making sure to check the add-drop-table option

open the sql file it gives you in plain text editor, and do a mass search/replace for the url you were using locally, changing it to your live domain. careful with trailing slashes. you may also need to adjust for image paths if you’re developing on windows, but you’ll need to check how it formats them by searching for “wp-content/uploads” too, it might be like “c:/sites/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/test.jpg”, in which case you’d need to change c:/sites/wordpress for your new domain too. 

finally, import that file back to your new db, upload ftp files, then adjust db username/host/password in wp-config.php. That’s easy, easy as pie. 

• Keith Davis

Thanks James
      Appreciate the quick summary and look forward to your article.

• Keith Davis

Sorry for second reply James
      I’m pretty up to speed with searching and replacing URL in the database but confused about the image paths.

In that case, best to just search through the db export sql file for wp-content/uploads – then you’ll be able to see whats being included before that. You could post back here with the results of that if you like. 

• Keith Davis

Hi James
      Any News?

Sorry to be so impatient. LOL

Hi Keith, I’d be happy to write an article on the topic, as I think you’re talking about migrating the site – moving it – to a web host; rather than running your own live server on your PC, right?

In that case, it depends upon what kind of host you’re moving to.

For shared hosts, it’s very difficult if your site is huge. With a few hundred posts only, you can simply import the data through PHPMYADMIN, but be sure to do a search replace on SQL output first to replace all your local references with the live domain. The rest of the site files, themes etc can be safely ftped across, and just adjust the wp-config for your newly imported db. 

On a VPS, the whole process is much easier as you can handle very large files over the command line. 

Give us a bit more info and I’ll try to get something more full written up. 

• Jeffery Fabish

Are you talking about transferring what you’ve already completed to a host, or turning your XAMPP server into a host available for outside traffic?