What happens to my local DropBox folders if the copy on the server is wiped out?

Rajeev Gupta September 21, 2011

DropBox is great as a cloud storage and using documents etc. on the go.

Now there is a DropBox folder on all my machines and the folder syncs with the server. What happens if the server has technical problems and all folders etc. are removed from the server? In that case will all the DropBox folders also become zero?

1. Arjun Bajaj

if everything is wiped out on dropbox servers, the sync mechanism might also get wiped out. so might be, the software might stop syncing and keep your data or it might erase it thinking that the data has been deleted. it depends on how dropbox server and client is programmed to do what in this scenario...

• Iconic

Exactly. I would add that drop box uses Amazon A3 for storage... consult Amazon for more info.

If you delete a file on the server e.g. via the website it will be removed on the computer(s) too. But Dropbox does have several recovery options in place. 

I guess no one knows for sure what would happen if the Dropbox storage on the server is wiped entirely for whatever reason. I'm sure they have various backup systems in place allowing them to restore data up to a reasonable point. 

In general I can only refer to the Terms which clearly states that you yourself are responsible for protecting your data and prevent any worst case scenarious. 

You, and not Dropbox, are responsible for maintaining and protecting all of your stuff. Dropbox will not be liable for any loss or corruption of your stuff, or for any costs or expenses associated with backing up or restoring any of your stuff.