How can I load Windows 7 onto my Gateway desktop computer?

Danny July 24, 2010

I purchased Windows 7 to load on my Gateway DX4710-05 desktop, but after repeated attempts, it will not load. It goes through the process for a couple of hours, then says the download was unsuccessful. Any ideas?

1. Raynecarter

I really just dont understand. maybe something wrong with the connection or something. I wanted to download internet explorer 8 onto my gateway computer, but i dont know. They are pretty old, and I dont know if it's safe to do that.
    Can someone help me? will ie8 make my computer slower?

2. Snoodking

The problem sounds like one is in the terminology and the other is the process. One is that the term "download" implies that you are downloading the file from the internet, which makes no sense since you mention in your reply to Tina that you bought an "upgrade disk". If you are putting the CD in the drive then you are usually not downloading anything, but simply "installing" the software. If it does ask you to "download" updates or anything, click "no". I hear a lot of customers say they "downloaded a CD to the computer" which is simply them replacing the word "installed" with an improper term. The same as them calling their desktop a "modem".

Part 2 is that XP cannot be "upgraded" to Windows 7, which simply means you must do a "clean install". Booting the computer to the CD allows the best way to do it, and really should be done by a professional if you don't really know what you're doing. Backup any important data, because it will be destroyed, but is necessary if you want Windows 7 on that computer.

Danny,

I assume your issue is downloading Windows 7, not installing it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Could you please specify where you are downloading from? Is there any other information you could give us to understand and help you solve your question? Thank you.

• Danny

You are right. I purchased the Xp to Windows 7 upgrade disk for my Gateway computer. When I try to download and install, the process goes on for about 2 hours, then I get a message "download unsuccessful." I tried turning off the virus software, but after about 8 tries, I'm still unsuccessful.

• William Brand

Might just be an issue with your Internet connection. You might want to try and download and burn it at a friend's house.