Why can I not load websites in Windows Vista?

shriki August 16, 2010

My laptop has problems connecting to the internet. It loads the page and then when I try to navigate to another page it just goes into a limbo. Then it shows this “not connected to internet” message.

I am connected through an ethernet cable. I am using Windows Vista. The problem is same irrespective of the browser. I have a 5 Mbps internet connection. Strange thing is I am not having any of these problems when I am using my other laptop running Windows XP. SOS!

1. Shriki088

I tried using chrome, firefox, IE but it is all pretty much the same. I dont know if disabling the firewall is right way to go about but i ll give it a shot..

Strange thing is I am able to access the internet through wireless..

Are you sure that your computer is connected to the network. Ie, in network connections, does it say you are connected?

Is your router filtering out MAC addresses and denying Internet access to your computer? Can you access the internet through Wireless?

what browser are you using? Did you try using alternative browser? Also, I would suggest uninstalling/disabling the firewall and see if it helps.

4. Shriki088

Once i restart my modem it appears to work fine for like 10 mins..so I am pretty much clueless abt whats going on..

• jhpot

I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'd start by running a scan with Malwarebytes. Let me know if you find anything.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Is this the same modem you've ever used? Has anything changed in your network settings recently? You could try changing the modem to factory defaults if the scan comes up empty.

5. Shriki088

laptop is not even an year old..Its been acting up only for the past few 4-5 weeks..strange thing is when i try connecting to another wifi network it is working fine..I have not fiddled around with firewall settings..

6. jhpot

How old is the laptop? Has it always behaved this way? I'm wondering if the problem may be some form of virus/malware, but it could also be firewall settings.