How can I load subtitles into a movie playing in VLC on a Mac?

newt November 27, 2011

It seems the answer existing on this question does not relate to Macs. I am quite new at this and would appreciate a guide as to how to get subtitles into a movie after I have downloaded it onto VLC. Thanks.

1. snake plisken

I am assuming you have already found and downloaded a correct subtitle file.

1. Open VLC for OSX any version.
    2. File / Open File
    3. Browse > load your MOVIE file
    4. Directly under the loaded MOVIE file url there are two (2) check boxes. Click the 2nd one that reads "Load subtitles file"
    5. Browse > select your SUBTITLES file.
    6. OK

Now hit play button and presto change-o you have subtitles.

generally vlc media player shows subtitles automatically, you don't need to set anything.

just download subtitles. and put it in the same folder with the movie.

it will be .srt or .sub file format.

if you are watching titanic.avi

you will have to rename it as titanic.srt.
    means names should be the same of movie and subtitle file.

then just play the movie.

it will show subtitles.

Actually the name should be titanic.avi.srt

No, it shouldnt. titanic.srt will work fine. 

when I watch a movie, I use moviefiename.srt and it works.
      you can also try it.

On VLC in imac you can go to: file/ advanced open file/... in this window (Open Source) in Browse you should choose your video file and below you should tick ''Load subtitle file'' (this is important), and in front of that in Setting /Browse.. you should choose you subtitle file... under you should mark ''Override parame'' for unlock the Delay and FPS section, after that click OK and in the window (Open source) click OPEN... you can see movie with subtitle...

For skew subtitle you can set a positive or negative number in Delay section.
    for example: 5 or -5 

4. newt

addition to question above re subtitles for Mac.  One problem seems to be that the subs come in more than one file and I don't know how to load both so the subs run out in the middle of the film.  Often they say SRT or CD 1 and 2 or hava a zip file.  I am sure I sound  incredibly thick but  I am of "a certain age" so all this doesn't come naturally to me.  thanks for any advice.

The subs dont match the movie in that case. You can either edit the subittle files by hand by copypasting the contents of the cd2 to the end of cd1 (they're all just plain text to open in notepad or regular text editor), or download the correct matching subtitles to start with. 

You may also want to look a media player such as plex or XBMC. In plex, I specify a default subtitle language, and if there are subs available it will automatically download and display them. 

Also, download better quality movies from sources where the included subtitles are listed. .MKV files generally have certain subs built-in - the file acts as a container for subs and movie file. Then you can choose the language from the video menu in VLC. Of course, you'll need to download a file that contains the right language subtitles to start with. View the NFO file before you download, it should list included languages.