How can I load software from CD using Wine under Linux?

Gary Pocklington September 6, 2011

I have installed Wine 1.3 onto Xubuntu. This has installed fine. When I try and install a program using Wine via a CD, the program will not load. The installer information is briefly displayed, then nothing!

Open a terminal and type:
    wine progman & press enter

this should bring up a  box which is the wine progr manager, click on file>execute and from the box that comes up either type the path to the windows progr you want to execute or click browse and from the dialog box that comes up browse through until you find the .exe file you want to run, I.E. look in /media/ for the CD you that contains the installation files. Once you have chosen the file click open then click OK and the install shield should start.

It's more likely to be a permissions or dependency problem. Can you copy those files to another directory, say your $USERDesktop folder. Then open up a terminal and change directories (CD) to the setup file directory. Then do "chmod 777 setup.exe", change setup.exe to the setup files name. You must do this for all dependencies of the setup file.

Make sure you've allowed executing of the file as a program as well. I've honestly never heard of this happening, what version of Wine are you using? (Applications -> Wine -> Configure -> About). What software are you trying to install? You may need to install a few requirements, such as Wine Tricks. This will install some common windows dependencies.

• Gary Pocklington

Hello Jeffery,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The program is called BatScan it is a piece of software for analysing bat calls. I have loaded it ok directly onto Windows XP/ME.

When I look at the install CD in Xubuntu it has a padlock symbol by the side of it. I have done as suggested and copied to home directory and chmod 777. But the result is the same. After right clicking on the file and choosing the Wine program loader a screen briefly shows which I believe says Install shield wizard. That disappears then nothing else happens.

Wine version is 1.13.15.

Gary Pocklington

Try going to the CD drive from Thunar or Nautilus file manager. Go to "Computer" then your CD drive, does it execute the autorun or can you see the files? If you're able to see the files, find the setup executable and right click on it and chose "properties". From there navigate to the permissions tab and enable "Allow executing file as program".

However, if you're unable to view the contents you must make sure the drive is properly mounted (command is "mount /mnt/cdrom").

You have to configure Wine's drive settings. (See point 4.1.4)

• Gary Pocklington

I can see the file. I can right click on it and open using the wine windows program loader. After I do this a window is briefly display which I think says something like windows install shield wizard? This then disappears and nothing happens. Is it a problem with some sort of windows security check?