Lithium-ion New Nexus 7 3950 mAh vs Lithium-polymer Ipad 4 11.560 mAh ?

Sachin G October 21, 2013

Could someone help me convert Li-Po to Li-Ion.
Does Li-Po 11.560 mAh simply mean 11560 mAh ?
Also if that’s the case then the New Nexus 7 seems to have just 3950 mAh capacity and still manages to give back up equal to the Ipad 4.
I get it that the screen size is different and Ipad is more resource hungry…
But still how that big a difference ?

The vast majority of battery life differences between devices are software, not hardware. However, out of the various components that cause drain, both the display and wireless features contribute the most.

The iPad's 10-inch Retina screen is bound to drain substantially more than the Nexus 7's 7-inch display. Also, if a discrete WiFi component is used, that's going to drain substantially more than an integrated solution. I know that the Snapdragon S4 Pro uses an integrated WiFi module. I'm not sure about the iPad, but the iPad 4 would definitely use an integrated WiFi device.

I'm pretty sure both the iPad and Nexus both have great software management of their various subcomponents. But from what I know, the way Google/Asus implemented the S4 Pro on their Nexus 7 was very well done.

Lithium-polymer and Lithion-Ion are simply two different technologies although the LiPo's are based on the Li-Ion.
    If you want to know the details I found the following posts which explains some of it.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-polymer-whats-the-difference-27608/

Overall LiPos allow more flexible (e.g. flat) designs and are more expensive which is why most manufacturers use Li-Ions instead.

The capacity is the capacity (does that make sense?). So 11560mAh is the capacity regardless of the technology used.

As for the runtime of the battery I would simply say that the iPad uses up more energy.
    You might have seen or heard about troubles with charging the iPad via USB or third-party chargers at it requires a higher current to be charged than most other devices. This is also where the LiPo comes into play – the LiPos allow higher in- and output current than Li-Ion.
    Putting 1-on-1 together one can assume that something in the iPad us using up the power resulting in the same runtime despite the higher capacity.

• Sachin G

Thanks I shall check the link.

Regarding the power rating, yes, the two are the same rating, it's simply an odd notation.

As for your second point, the screen is different, the processor design is different, the WiFi chip may be different and the operating system is different. All these things add up. It's also possible that despite having similar battery life on paper, the iPad lasts longer (there are plenty of reports about short battery life on the Nexus 7, but I don't know if they are to do with faulty units or a design issue).