Does Linux or Ubuntu support ATI hardware?

Nick June 8, 2010

Has the Linux community resolved some of the issues with ATI?

Last time I checked, ATI support had been completely removed and you had to use some hack or something to get drivers installed. I’d like to install Ubuntu or a similar version again, but don’t want to mess with bootloaders and settings if it’s not going to work without fighting with it the whole way.

1. Ellric1

TRying to figure this out why is ati not supported as much as nividia is it the drivers that ati makes for linux and if so why has no one came up with a ati driver for linux i rember back about 10 years or so ago u could not get ati or niviidia drivers because tthey did not suport linux but i still was able to load linux on my comp now i cant get mandriva or elive to find my ati card neatherr on can and i really wanted to dual boot that one with windows 7 i built this gameing machine and put alot of money into it i really dont want have to buy anew mother board and 2 video cards just to run linux what happen to the linux drivers they worked great the the past for video cards why dont they now ?

2. Urza

Historically, while it is possible to get close to full graphical support on ATI cards, it's been a generally mind grating and buggy affair. The same is still true, although relatively large strides have been made in just the last couple years (since being purchased by AMD).

Long story short: Yes ATI is supported, but you'll get better performance and have less issues with an Nvidia GPU.

3. Ryan

Ubuntu 10.04 with ATI 5850. I get tearing all over. It's a very known problem. Everyone recommends to use NVidia with Linux and ATI with Windows. If you plan to use Linux, get an NVidia card! So many problems with ATI + Linux, especially with newer cards (They're not even supported yet!!!)

4. Jessica Cam W.

I have Ubuntu 10.04 running just fine in a laptop with an ATI graphics card. I downloaded the restricted extra codecs from http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-applications-install-ubuntu-lucid-lynx/ since Youtube and the like wouldn't work right at the beginning.

This is a useful page on how to use the open-source driver for ATI video cards.

5. Johnny

Hi Nick,
    I do not know the answer BUT I sure know where you can find it
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

6. pceasies

I ment: Does Linux, specifically Ubuntu and derivatives