How can I use Linux software in Windows?

HARSIMRAN SINGH November 12, 2010

I have a friend who is using Linux. He always tells me about Linux software, but I don’t know how to use Linux in Windows and Linux software.

One more thing, he told me about “WineHQ” software . It is a software which helps using Windows software in Linux?

So, can anyone tell me about a software that can help me to use Linux software in Windows?

1. Jmmcbrayer

The best way to get full compatability is to run a Linux installation in a virtual machine. VMWare would be my recommendation but its kind of expensive. Microsoft and Sun both make a free virtual computer software but don't compare to VMWare. Apps like wine are only useful for some application but typically unstable.

2. Enigma

Try DSL.(Damn small linux)
    It's a Linux boot iso which you can purchase pre-burned onto a USB thumb drive.

3. Steve Dupuis

1. Try cygwin. Its available at cygwin.com and installs as a windows application. It provides all the gnu-linux utilities and X-windows too.
    2. Try ubuntu installed with "wubi". This will install linux into its own files on your windows machine and can be run as a windows app. It will run slower than native mode, but should be ok if you have a modern PC.

Cheers!

4. Sueska

Addendum to my comment: Sorry I misread your original question. You and your friend stated it correctly. "WineHQ" is for running Windows in Linux and you were asking if there was software for running Linux in Windows.
    I would still highly recommend trying a live bootable linux cd (or dvd).
    If you like it, I would suggest looking into setting up a virtual machine and installing Linux as a second OS. There are free products such as virtualbox for setting up virtual machines. If you do decide to install Linux on a virtual machine, use the same Linux distribution that your friend uses and he can be your Linux guru

5. Cert_sue

Did your friend get this backwards,I thought "WineHQ" was for running windows applications in Linux? See the link http://www.winehq.org/
    If there is something new out there, I am sure someone will add another comment.

Anyways an easy and safe way to get a taste of Linux in windows is to run a bootable live cd (or dvd) such as Knoppix or Ubuntu.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

If you are skilled in burning bootable isos you can download and burn a copy yourself. Alternately, I would ask your linux friend to provide you with a copy. Bootable live linux cds and dvds often can be found in Linux magazines and be ordered cheaply online.

Once you have a live bootable linux cd (or dvd) you will need to change the boot order in your PC's bios to boot from cdrom first, otherwise you will just boot into your windows hard drive. When you boot from the live cd, choose the option to only run and not install. Some of the bootable live cds also provide install options.

Have fun