Where can I get a Linux Lite Version or how can I revive my grand daughter’s Acer One?

Graham Smith December 25, 2010

Ages ago I bought my grand daughter the Acer One with Linux Lite Version. Great for her at school as everything was open source.

The machine has given up and we have lost the Recovery Disk. I tried to get one from Acer, not a chance, tried to get it from the web, almost impossible for a not Linux competent person like me. I need help. How can I bring this great little machine back to life for my grand daughter?

1. Joe

Hope you already resolved your problem, but just in case.
    If your computer is dead, so a recovery disk by itself won't do you any good.
    However, if your disk drive still works, then you can still get any personal data off of it that you don't have backed up elsewhere.

The process is conceptually simple, but requires doing a few things you might not be familiar with.

All Linux distributions is based on on the same kernel and the same basic set of surrounding tools. That means that there's a 99.9% probability that your disk is formatted in a standard way, most likely ext3. All you have to do is physically remove it from the dead computer and hook it up to one that works and you should be able to read everything on it and copy whatever you want to somewhere new.

I assume the Acer One is part of their Aspire notebook line. Notebooks have 2.5" drives.
    You (or whoever helps you) can get a special cable available at most online computer stores that plugs into your drive on one end and into a USB port on a working computer.
    Or, you might need to use an external disk enclosure if the drive needs more power to operate than the cable itself provides.

If the computer you're hooking up to is running Linux, all you have to do is mount the disk as an external drive. Newer distros will will automatically detect the drive when it gets plugged in to a USB port and offer to mount it for you with a couple of mouse clicks.

On the older distros, you might have to type a few commands to mount the drive, but it's very simple.

Once the drive is mounted, you can think of it just like a flash drive you plug in and copy whatever you want from it using any file manager like konqueror, nautilus, or dolphin. It's all point and click or dragging files to where you want them.

The stuff you want will probably all be in the /home directory. One sub directory tree under that is created for each user and since there was probably only one user it will be right there.

If your working computer doesn't run Linux, it's no big deal. You just get a Live CD version of any Linux distro that will run on your new computer (almost all will if your new computer isn't too old), boot your new computer from the live CD and follow the method above. The live CD should be able to easily mount the disk drive in your new computer so you can copy files to it. It might be easier just to plug in a real flash drive and copy to that. Copying files on a Linux disk to a Windows disk is no problem.

Once the files have been retrieved, you'll still need the right applications to open them.
    Most or all of these should be on the Live distro disk or will certainly be easy to install on a computer running Linux. OpenOffice.org has all the usual office applications, runs on both Windows and Linux and can import and export files to and from it's native formats as well as read and write them in other formats like those MS Office uses. Pictures, movies, and other media files should transfer as is with no problems.

As I said, it's "conceptually" easy. This means that there are no roadblocks to doing all this. You just have to know how and, these days, it's not so hard.

If this doesn't sound easy (and, if you're not familiar with Linux, it won't), get help.

Do a web search for Linux user groups in your area (called lugs for short). Get on their email lists or forums and ask for help. You might get it for free or cheap and someone will probably have the cables, etc. needed so you won't have to buy them. If not, call your local computer stores and find one that knows about Linux and they'll do it for you.

HTH
    Joe

If

2. rMatey180

Or you can just use a newer distribution of Linux like Ubuntu Netbook Edition, or Mint. I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my HP mini, the full install. With Mint it automatically loads all drivers and codecs. With Ubuntu you have to enable the restricted library to get all of the goodies.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

3. toot

Hi, I am not sure if the Acer One with Linux Lite version is the Linpus Linux Lite.

There is website which mentions both Acer One and Linpus Linux Lite, which I think should be the one that you are looking.

1. Acer Aspire One Linpus Linux Lite recovery DVD online:
    http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/1-latest-news/249-acer-aspire-one-linpus-linux-lite-recovery-dvd-online

2. Linpux Linux Lite:
    http://www.linpus.com/downloads.html

Wish this help to recover your machine back to life.