Which Linux distro should I use?

erfan August 8, 2011

What is the best Linux distribution for me? I am a student, spend a huge amount of time on the internet, play some online games, watch movies and other normal stuff.

1. JF

I would go with Ubuntu, but not necessarily the latest version. I had issues and some problems with 11.04, especially on the display side, when I have more than a single monitor. Also, Ubuntu 11.04 had some issues with my hardware on the power management. I revered back to 10.10, and I am very happy with it. Movie watching is usually working fine under Ubuntu. I just watched 2 full-length movies during a 5-hour flight in Canada.

User-Friendliness and Compatibility - Ubuntu
    Speed - Xubuntu
    Way more Speed - Puppy Linux :)

3. Jreeluke

Linux Mint 11

4. William

Ubuntu

5. Eugen Mardare

For someone that moves from Windows,  Mint is one of the best alternatives and first steps in Linux . But, if the games you're speaking are mmorpgs, i don't know how many of them will work on Wine, so you should check things out before installing a new OS.

Also, you might find it difficult to share, send, receive files through Pidgin ( especially if you are a Yahoo user).

6. Brandon Phillips

I would absolutely recommend Ubuntu mainly because it's so human friendly and comes with the software that you need for watching movies and browsing the web. However, one warning: a lot of major games surprisingly don't natively support Linux (like Steam, for instance) but using "wine", a windows environment emulator, you can make a lot of windows software work. Just remember if you ever have problems, Google is your friend.

7. kn0w-b1nary

If you like lots of features, eye-candy, etc. then I would recommend Kubuntu.

If you're like me and are willing to gain some speed, at the cost of some less features, I recommend Xubuntu.

It sounds like you're looking for a fairly easy distribution, I recommend Linux Mint 11 . Chose 32bit if you have less than 4GB's of ram, and 64bit if you have more than 4GB's of ram. (In Linux, software incompatibility due to architecture differences isn't usually a factor).

The great thing about Mint is you get support and features from both Mint and Ubuntu, since Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, which in turn Ubuntu is based off of Debian. It's a really nice starter distribution. 

9. jhpot

For what you're describing any mainstream distro should do the job. I highly recommend Ubuntu, because it is in my opinion the easiest way to get a computer up and running quickly with everything you need to use day-to-day. Check it out; you might like it. 

I'm sure some other commenters will disagree with me on this, but such is life. If you named this thread "which cola should I drink: Pepsi or Coke?" you'd end up with similar responses. 

10. Josh Fox

You would probably want to give the Linux Distribution Chooser from zengenie Studios a try. You answer some questions as to what you are capable of, your needs, and your preferences. When finished, it will give you a few options they feel will suit you the best. It will also tell you more about the results so you can make a more informed decision.

You can check it out here: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

11. Josh Fox